Speedo Issues

cheese

Advice needed.

First, the car is a 1992 Series 2 Toyota Corolla SX Seca 5 door hatch.

The compliance plates give the following details.

Build Date 02/92

Model Number AE92R-LMVFB

Gearbox C52

Axle -642

Engine 4A-GE Capacity 1587cc

VIN ST164AE93.............

Now, I read somewhere that the AE93 in the VIN (instead of AE92 as in model number) says it is a genuine SX Seca.

Is that correct ?

Now, for the problem.

Yesterday (last night) I was driving home from christmas with family, with cops everywhere (saw at least 5 in as many km) so was being extra careful in the speed department, checking speedo every other 10 seconds or so, when all of a sudden, the speedo did a dive from exactly 60kph to ZERO.

I was about 5km from home, so just swore a little, slowed down to 2,000 on the tacko in 4th to get home safe (cops were everywhere).

This morning I had a look, and eventually found the speedo cable coming out of the gearbox up to the firewall. What surprised me was that it has a join in it. It seems to be in two sections. The bit going to the gearbox is about 12 inches long, and the other bit disapears into the firewall just on the centreline of the car (approx).

Questions:

1. Assuming it is only the cable broken, (and not a fault with the speedo itself, or god forbid, a problem with the drive assy in the gearbox itself) is there an easy way to determine which half of the speedo cable is broken ?

2. Assuming either the top cable or the bottom cable is broken, do you have to replace the whole thing, ie, the outer cable and the inner cable, or can you just replace the inner(s) ?

3. Assuming just replace the inners, If I undo the "join" I have access to the two inners, so I could pull out the inners, but what about getting the "other broken inner part" out ? Will I have to remover the bottom cable complete from the gearbox, and / or the top cable complete from the dash and instrument cluster ?

4. If I have to remove everything, how do I do that ? Just looking at it all this morning, it looks like a nightmare !! Is there an "EASY WAY" - please ?

5. Without a working speedo, and with double de-merits etc, I am now loath to drive (already have 6 points). So, I need the speeds for tacko readings as a backup. Does anyone have a table, or the data to enable me to calculate (accurately) the KPH / 1,000 RPM in each gear ? (The car is fitted with original wheels and standard tyres).

Regards.

Cheese

Members dont see this ad

Pull out the gearbox half of the cable...

Turn the end that goes into the gearbox with your hand and you should see the part in the top turning...

If that doesn't turn, then it's snapped...

If it turns, then check the upper half of the cable the same way...

If that fails, then check your speedo in the dash...

But as stated above, it's usually the bottom half of the cable that breaks...

Supposedly, talking to a Instruments expert a little while ago, that shorter cable has a dendancy to break - apparently your local toyota dealer should have them on the shelf for about $25 or so. but go through all the trouble shooting first - just start there :)