Ae86 Starts Idles Then Dies

i have a 1985 corolla gt-s coupe and i have a couple questions. theres no power going to the fuel pump but i checked all the fuses replaced the relay replaced the pump and still nothing. so i hooked the pump up straight to power and it starts and idles for a couple seconds then dies. and if i try to rev it up when its idleing it will just die instantly. i don't know much about these cars so someone help me i need this car running so i can get it out of my drive way ive searced and searched and i tihnk ive checked everythiing that should be checked but i have to be missing something

Members dont see this ad
Do a diagnostic test on it, To me it sounds like your pickup in the dizzy (G or Ne) is either stuffed or the wiring to it is broken (which is common, See Thread Here), This also tells your fuel pump to turn on, The fault code for this is number 6.

sorry but i have no idea what you just said haha whats the yellow plug for? and how do i do a diagnostics test

In the right hand side of the engine bay you will see a little black box that sez DIAGNOSIS, Open it up and put a bit of wire between the terminals T & E1 then turn the ignition to "ON" and it will then be in diagnosis mode, The engine light will flash out codes, Just count the amount of times the light blinks (6 consecutive flashes = code 6), There will be <1 second betwwen each flash and a 3 second pause between each code.

In the right hand side of the engine bay you will see a little black box that sez DIAGNOSIS, Open it up and put a bit of wire between the terminals T & E1 then turn the ignition to "ON" and it will then be in diagnosis mode, The engine light will flash out codes, Just count the amount of times the light blinks (6 consecutive flashes = code 6), There will be <1 second betwwen each flash and a 3 second pause between each code.

alright ill try that thanks alot for the help.

theres no black box on the right side are you talking about the yellow plug with the two terminals by the wiper motor? cuz i jumped those two and no engine light came on. maybe its burnt out? and could you show me a picture of where the dizzy plugs are.. I'm assuming dizzy means distributer right? the plugs going to that are green.

theres no power going to the pump though i just hooked it straight up to the battery so it has to be a fuse, some broken wires or something but i replaced all the fuses that have to do with the fuel and ignition

but it still wont run properly with a hot-wire on the fuel pump so i would check pressure at the rail.

Don't worry about the link I posted about the distributor for now, Get a pic of your engine bay as the JDM diagnosis connector might be different to the USDM (JDM has black box).

i looked it up and its the yellow plug by the wiper motor. but i think my check engine light is burnt out because when i turn the key on it doesnt come up. and in the manual it says its suppose to