Condenser

Hobbit

Hello all,

Need some help, my little rolla won't idol. It seems to run good for a bit then all of a sudden really rough. After which you have to keep the rev's up to her, but you can still hear it missing and generally not sound good. I thought it could be an exhaust manifold leak or a vacumm leak but it comes good everynow and again. Plus I don't think temp has a play in it. I was trying to fix it last night, the engine was warm and I was pulling leads to see if any cylinder was being favoured. When replacing the leads I only just sat them in the dissy. For some reason it came good for a bit then crap again.? Any ideas?

Please help..

Members dont see this ad

Tricky- one time we had that was when the condensor had broken off and was hanging on its wire- it fired or missed depending on when it lay on the engine! But yeah, replace the condensor as a starting point.

Check all the wires leading to the dizzy & coil with a voltmeter as you wiggle them. An internal break will cause intermittent missing as the wire moves. Check the wire inside the dizzy as it leads to the points too.

You might have a carb problem, dirt under the float valve will flood it to misfire, or does it lean out from something under a valve in the fuel pump & low fuel pressure. The fuel filter should stop any fibres getting into those places, but funny things happen.

Good luck, it will be interesting to hear the outcome.

the condenser is there so the points don't arc. so if the points look burnt or arced replace the condenser, I have noticed point quality is getting poor, I have recently had a few cars with the point wire broken all were Bosch points. the wire ends seem to contact enough to run but poorly.

Well I finally found time to have a look at suggested areas and found the dizzy cap had some signs of arking and the rotor button didn't look the best either. The main lead into the cap was stuck and i broke it when trying to remove it. It looks like it 's fused in there with some white stuff around it. I'm hoping this is the problem. I'll get parts and let you know.