2tc: What Should I Read About Getting Power?

simko

Hey everyone, i don't want to ask too many rookie/newbie questions,

ive got a 2tc, unknown year, unknown carb, pics

009.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

I want to swap this into my suzuki4x4, I would however like to get some more power out of this engine.

Can anyone point me to some techarticles or faq's or books to read up on adding some power to this engine?

I would prefer some cheaper methods, as i am a student on a budget, but i would be open to adding a turbo if it can be done somewhat cheaply

thanks, i look forward to your responses and input

-Aaron

Members dont see this ad

Port and polish the head, shave for compression. reasonable duration cam, twin sidedraft carbs, extractors and 2 inch exhaust, lightened flywheel, recurved distributor and it will fly. Mine did! You would need to decide whether you need to rebuild the bottom end or not - I didn't, and it survived years of spirited daily driving and club motorsport events of all kinds.

Another very good site is http://www.toyota3tc.com which is US based

All depends what sort of 4 wheel driving you will so with the suzuki sierra (what you guys call a samurai)

Most 4 wheel driving needs something that can run and start on steep angles, and something with torque right off idle, especially when rock crawling in low range.

Due to this I would recomend not to lighten the flywheel,or for that matter put a aftermerket cam. Side draught carby's are good, give heaps more power and make the car run better on some big angles (almost as good as efi). If the budget does not stretch to that I would say get a carby off a sierra(samurai) that is an aisin carby that is a straight bolt on to your manifold. I have done this on my 4k roolla motor and works well and gave a little more power than the corolla carby. if the 1.3 sierra carby is a litttle too small (should not be though) get an aisin carby off a suzuki sierra, what you guys call a sidekick, or a geo tracker from memory. These carbies being from 4x4's are designed for angles off road to start with and bolt straight onto you manifold.

Another good thing that i found helped mine heaps too was installing electronic ignition. I got one from pertronix in the USA, took me 15 min to install and worked a treat and added a little more to the torque and makes it run better even if your distributor gets wet after a water crossing.

My advice on a suzuki would be NOT to turbo it, especially if you put some bigger tires and other mods etc. you will frequently break axles, cv joints, and transfer case mounts with a bif power rush combined with steep offroad stuff, bigger tires etc. I have even seen a turbo sierra climbing a steep hill with small rock steps and as it bounced and crawled up his foot bounced and hit the point that the turbo hit a little and quickly flipped the car back, with a combined bang that was a diff centre.

Good luck with it, keep me posted how you go.

thanks everyone!

the type of wheeling we do around here is mostly mud and hill climbs, however I will be going to do some rockcrawling around once a year.

I have chromoly axleshafts (supposedly stronger) which are rated for 35" tires, i plan to run 31" tires which is what i have now.

Instead of the sidedraft carb's i was thinking of purchasing a holley or edelbrock ( i can get both of these at dealer cost price) if you would recommend it.

I think the sidedraft system is a little bit out of my price range. I do plan on runnning an electronic fuel pump to help with fuel starving issues though.

Ive been thinking.

I read tyhat my 2tc will put out a whopping 75 hp.

Say i add a mild cam for ~10hp(is that an accurate guess), i add $200 for that.

Then a Weber 32/36 (not sure on hp gain) for another 200.

I'm at $$400 for an engine with 95 Hp if I'm being optimistic.

I read that a toyota 22R engine puts out 95-97hp stock, if i dump some money for a cam and carb, i will be even more ahead in power.

Does it make more sense for me to sell off this engine and use a 22R? will the 22R bolt to the tranny i have now?

well you could turbo it for under $1000AU

just sing out if you want some info on turboing it as i have a turbo 2t, should be fine with your axles, after all your not going to rev the guts out of it and put an intense load on the drive train, compared to some one drifting and doing burnouts.

Hi folks, me and some friends tried cranking the engine, the starter turns everything nicely, the cylinders all have compression.

we cannot however get a spark from the coil. The battery we are using is fully charged...

I'm not sure if my ignition is a "points" ignition system.

here are some photos of what i have.

Ok here are some pictures, found the ID of the engine stamped into the block!!!

IMGP1741.jpg

the distributor(is thispoints ignition system?)

IMGP1748.jpg

IMGP1749.jpg

the previous owner of the truck had an inline electronic fuel pump hooked up, just wondering if this is a stock mechanical pump mounted to the block:

IMGP1750.jpg

i havent done much research on the 2tc but i own a 3tc and ive done a little looking around the net.

these engines have a hemi combustion chamber and love boost, if you want power from these engines without spending an assload of cash you need to throw some boost at it. ive read that they will take up to 12lbs with stock internals but personally id run 9lbs and put in metal head gasket and some arp studs to keep it all together, that should double the power. i already have all the parts to convert my 3tc to EFI and turbo and it has cost me less than $600 for a GOOD custom manifold, a big arse turbo from a 9 sec KP starlet and the EFI gear from a 3TEU, i have a microtech sitting there and i just need to get a customs fuel rail made. if i was you id be trying to find a 3tc and then trying to pick up the gear on ebay to put a small amount of boost through it, the guy from BRD racing was selling a whole heap of his gear on the US ebay not too long ago, thats where i picked up my manifold and turbo.

some of the 3tc's in the states came with an electronic dizzy so you should be able to replace that points dizzy pretty easily.

• 3 weeks later...