Bluterus's Ke70

bluterus

Got a bit more done on the weekend. Pulled the front struts out only to find that my inserts don't fit my struts so going to sell off the springs and everything and buy some 86 gear as I need stopping power.

Anyone got any struts for sale?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday I got my front Suspension painted and fitted the struts and new springs. Also got the Front swaybar out, strut bars, the points they mount to out going to pull out the steering rack and crossmember Monday then get them all painted up. Also going to spray body deadener in the arches and the front of the under carriage.

Pics!!

dsc00696ov.jpg

dsc00697fv.jpg

Another Update got some more done tonight. Got the Crossmember, steering rack and LCA's out. Painted up the castor rods and the brackets they mount to but unfortunately it was a bit cold and the paint blushed on the brackets so will have to redo those tomorrow.

Just gotta change over the ball joints and bushes in the LCA's and fit the Rack ends and Tie rods and then I can start throwing all the front end back in. I expect to have the whole front end done on Saturday and with a bit of luck have the rear end apart.

Some Pics.

dsc00703x.jpg

dsc00702u.jpg

dsc00699w.jpg

This thing is bangin, you seem pretty good with the paint, should come and hit my suspension bits up :P

cheers man I'm alright with paint except for when I rush like tonight I should have waited till tomorrow because it was too cold and it blushed so I will have to redo it tomorrow anyways.

It wont be long now and she'll be rockin! within 2 weeks all the drive line will be done and it will just be the body work to get done. So I estimate 2 months and she will be on the road.

What are you painting all your suspension bits? & What sort of prep work do you do to them?

Yeah just painting all the suspension bits as they have to come out to change over the bushes anyways. Also painting all the wheel arches in body deadener and maybe even the under carriage if I can be bothered.

Prep wise I was going to sandblast them but I just want the thing on the road so to get it done quickly I just cleaned them down with a heavy duty degreaser, Then a rub down with sandpaper, wipe over with just some gun wash thinners then wipe down with Prepsol. After that I undercoat it with grey etch primer then I paint them with VHT high temp engine enamel in gloss black.

I'd use 2 pac but I'm saving the black I have left for the spoiler and the underside of my new bonnet.

Yeah just painting all the suspension bits as they have to come out to change over the bushes anyways. Also painting all the wheel arches in body deadener and maybe even the under carriage if I can be bothered.

Prep wise I was going to sandblast them but I just want the thing on the road so to get it done quickly I just cleaned them down with a heavy duty degreaser, Then a rub down with sandpaper, wipe over with just some gun wash thinners then wipe down with Prepsol. After that I undercoat it with grey etch primer then I paint them with VHT high temp engine enamel in gloss black.

I'd use 2 pac but I'm saving the black I have left for the spoiler and the underside of my new bonnet.

Ok cool, pretty much the same sort of prep work I was planning on doing to mine! Thanks for the tips :rolls:

Ok cool, pretty much the same sort of prep work I was planning on doing to mine! Thanks for the tips :rolls:

No worries man. I just used a 400 grit sandpaper Definitely use an etch primer as it will make the paint hold much better and will make it much more resistant to rust and corrosion.

Got a bit more work done tonight. After stuffing around with the LCA's trying to remove the ball joints I worked out that the ball joints had a circlip. So I took that off and they came straight out. Used the porta power to push the bushes out then painted them up and my steering arms and repainted the castor rod mounting brackets.

Just gotta change over the tie rods, tie rod ends, rubber boots and then paint the rack and then start throwing everything back in. Friday will get the steering rack done and all the bushes and ball joints fitted up and on Saturday the whole front end will be back in.

dsc00723yi.jpg

dsc00725p.jpg

Got the steering rack and crossmember back in. I got the swaybar in but had to cut the mounts a little for the swaybar ends to go through as they were way too big. Then as I was mounting the sway bar on of the bolts snapped off which took ages to get out.

dsc00744no.jpg

dsc00742z.jpg

Got the guards and arches sprayed with body deadener.

dsc00740i.jpg

dsc00741n.jpg

Got as far as mounting the struts but can't get the locating pins to go into the strut bottoms. Being AE86 Struts do I need to use 86 steering arms? I measured the hole centres roughly with a ruler and they look right but I tried for an hour and couldn't get the bastard on.

dsc00743tw.jpg

dsc00745q.jpg

Hey good progress there. You will need AE86 steering arms for the AE86 struts to fit. I've read that the holes are 85mm apart on the AE86 and 87mm apart on the KE70.

I measured it roughly with a steel rule and it is damn close so that's probably true. Really really annoying as I wanted to get the front end finished.

I'll have to dummy fit the 4AGE so I can bolt up the swaybar and tighten the LCA's. I really didn't like hacking up the caster rod mounts as I hate doing dodgy stuff but there was no way the swaybar's would ever fit.

Are the holes on an AE86 bigger where the swaybar goes through? I might look at grabbing 86 mounts if they are.

Also used all new high tensile bolts in the mounts instead of the rusty old bolts with spring washers that have become flat washers.