Bluterus's Ke70

bluterus

Found some 86 arms just waiting for postage now hope I get them for the weekend so I can get this front end done.

I hate when one little thing holds you up. All in all though it is so good to see it coming together I just keep waiting for each weekend to get more done. Missus is getting angry though.

Some of her quotes

"Always spending time on your bloody cars!" "Car's are more important than me!" "Aww, Shutup I don't wanna know all you talk about is cars!"

I see her everyday and spend about 10 hrs tops on the car per week and about 40-50hrs with her so don't see how I spend too much time on the car.

Might start on some body work tonight just remove the old pinstriping down the side, double sided tape and the chrome rail above the doors. That will take a good hour or two I know it took about half hour to remove the pinstripes on the rear 1/4.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, I hear ya about the Missus factor. I'm pretty lucky though I guess coz she doesn't give me a hard time about it. She supports my passion for my project even though she doesn't share it. As long as I make time for her too then there's peace and harmony in the world.

You and I both seem to be at about the same stage in our projects. I'm just waiting for a weekend of good weather so I can finish the last two coats in my engine bay. Did the first one a few weeks ago. My car is sitting on stands in my mates backyard at the mercy of the elements. Not an ideal location for painting but I appreciate my mate letting me use his yard. Been cleaning and painting my suspension bits and crossmember at work during my lunch break.

Not sure if there's a difference between the AE86 and KE70 swaybar/castor rod mount. I'm hoping I don't have that issue once I get my new front sway bar too.

Hehe, I hear ya about the Missus factor. I'm pretty lucky though I guess coz she doesn't give me a hard time about it. She supports my passion for my project even though she doesn't share it. As long as I make time for her too then there's peace and harmony in the world.

You and I both seem to be at about the same stage in our projects. I'm just waiting for a weekend of good weather so I can finish the last two coats in my engine bay. Did the first one a few weeks ago. My car is sitting on stands in my mates backyard at the mercy of the elements. Not an ideal location for painting but I appreciate my mate letting me use his yard. Been cleaning and painting my suspension bits and crossmember at work during my lunch break.

Not sure if there's a difference between the AE86 and KE70 swaybar/castor rod mount. I'm hoping I don't have that issue once I get my new front sway bar too.

Sounds like you are around the same with yours. Fortunately for me it was still good weather when I did the engine bay. Bad thing now is its all cold weather so even though I have a booth i can't paint cause it will blush.

What sort of swaybar are you running? If its a non adjustable swaybar it should be fine as the 24mm bit fits in with plenty of room but because mine are adjustable the end was really wide and flat.

Ahh right. I haven't bought it yet but I've already got some Super pro 25mm D bushes for a 25mm Ultra Racing bar I'm waiting to buy. Not adjustable so sounds like it should fit straight in.

What size bar are you bolting onto the rear? I've got a 16mm TRD but I'm wondering if I should go for a 19mm Ultra Racing.

Ahh right. I haven't bought it yet but I've already got some Super pro 25mm D bushes for a 25mm Ultra Racing bar I'm waiting to buy. Not adjustable so sounds like it should fit straight in.

What size bar are you bolting onto the rear? I've got a 16mm TRD but I'm wondering if I should go for a 19mm Ultra Racing.

Yeah i got a full superpro kit too they're good stuff. I'm running an 18mm on the rear. I got them adjustable so I can change them both stiffer and softer and I want the rear stiffer if I'm going to drift then softer for track racing.

I'd be going an 18mm at least but it all depends what you're setting it up for. I don't know what the stock is but it wouldn't be far off 16mm.

Yeah true. It'll mostly just be driven daily with the occasional bit of fun on the track so I wont be needing all the adjustability.

I'll be going coilovers on the front and lowered springs on the rear.

Yeah non adjustable will be fine if you already have the TRD just run it and see if your happy if not later on go bigger.

• 2 weeks later...
Have your 86 arms arrived yet? Bet you're keen to get the struts in and car back on the ground.

Sure did! Last night painted them and put them in got the shocks bolted up. Just put some grease on them. Painted the hubs just got to pack new bearings in then throw the hubs back on.

Look at it its like brand new!

dsc00763n.jpg

Edited by bluterus

what paint did you use for the wheel wells and Struts Etc? Looks good as!

Everything was prepped by degreasing, Rub down with 400 sand paper, clean down with thinners then clean down with wax and grease remover.

The steering components were painted in VHT High temp gloss black its from autobarn like $15.99 a can.

The arches I used K&H spray on body deadener from autobarn in a can $25 for 1L and used a spray gun I have here specifically for spraying that and fish oil. 1 can would do all four wheel arches and guards.

• 2 weeks later...
Everything was prepped by degreasing, Rub down with 400 sand paper, clean down with thinners then clean down with wax and grease remover.

The steering components were painted in VHT High temp gloss black its from autobarn like $15.99 a can.

The arches I used K&H spray on body deadener from autobarn in a can $25 for 1L and used a spray gun I have here specifically for spraying that and fish oil. 1 can would do all four wheel arches and guards.

Sorry, So you prepped everything first. Then you went over with the sound deadener from auto barn, let it dry. Then you top coated it with a ( what kind of paint with fish oil? ) type of paint thats black and you used an air compressor and spray gun or what?

I am gonna buy a Sand blaster and do all mine like you have done yours.

Sorry, So you prepped everything first. Then you went over with the sound deadener from auto barn, let it dry. Then you top coated it with a ( what kind of paint with fish oil? ) type of paint thats black and you used an air compressor and spray gun or what?

I am gonna buy a Sand blaster and do all mine like you have done yours.

For the guards man I didn't do as much prep as the steering components. I just washed them with soapy water as you would wash the car. Then sprayed them with good degreaser in a spray bottle like a concentrate you mix yourself not that cheap export can stuff that stuff is crap.

Then I used the guerney and washed the degreaser off then just wiped it down with prepsol (wax and grease remover)

After that I sprayed the guards using K&H spray on body deadener and a body deadener spray gun. The spray gun is a special gun designed for spraying things like fish oil and body deadener.

I didn't bother with fish oil as a ute I had and sprayed I fish oiled the whole entire thing interior and all and it still rusted. The way I see it is if its got rust no matter what you do its going to come back eventually oh except if you use stainless panels. Mine got rust back in other parts though.

This is a body deadener gun

bodydeadenergun.jpg

This is a similar product to what I used same can but different label was just called spray on body deadener.

bodydeadener.jpg

I found the can didn't fit my gun like the thread on the can was too small but it didn't matter I just held the can with one hand and sprayed with the other and it worked fine.

The body deadener is black How its sprayed is how it came out of the can you use a fair bit though as it doesn't cover very well at all. The first coat looks like you've put hardly any on.

I'd say it wont stay that nice glossy shine for long though as shitloads of dirt will stick to it. You could prime it I guess and put a 2pac black over it.

I'd say it wont stay that nice glossy shine for long though as shitloads of dirt will stick to it. You could prime it I guess and put a 2pac black over it.

Do you mean literally stick it? Does it never really dry out fully?

Or is that stick to it because of the sort of porous nature of it? Like if you put it on, you could still readily get all the dirt out with the pressure hose at the car wash?