Tyres Leaking Air From Mag Wheels?

DoAwEe

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone else has or had the same problem.

Issue: over a year ago i bought a 91 GTi corolla with 17" vault rims with new tyres, current size with tyres are 205/40/17. The tyres weren't that great as they were some china brand which didn't last very long, they started to crack around the rubber and lead to air escaping. I then changed 2 of the tyres (back pair) for a set of falkens, which was only about 2 weeks ago, and now on one of the tyres, it keeps getting flat. The other one is fine, so i took it back to the shop and they said that i have a leak in my rim, which they tested by putting it in a bathtub full of water and showed me the where the air bubbles were escaping from. They said that they rim was previously damaged (maybe by the previous owner) and that they'll try and put a sealer on it and that should fix the problem. Hence my luck, the problem was reoccuring. It takes about 2 to 3 days for the tyre to be flat.

so i called them again and told them that the sealer didn't work, they advised me that it was my rim and that it needs repairing, which can cost about $70 to $120 depending on the damage, and i also said that how come the problem wasn't their with my old tyre? well they said that it was because the old tyre was already sealed. I'm thinking to myself, isn't that the same thing????? go figure.

but anyways, i just wanted top put it out there and wanted to see what people think and if you ever had the same problem? what did you do and how did you fix it? i mean could it be the tyre being faulty?? or do i actually have a damaged rim which needs repairing????

any advice or recommendation on mag wheel repair places would be much appreciated!! :cool:

thanks guys....

Members dont see this ad

I've had tires going flat on me before from sliding around whilst they didn't have enough air in them which let dirt get into the bit that seals and they would get a slow leak.... Maybe there's a bit of dirt in around the bead where it seals onto the rim?

just get a tube put in.....

:P:no2::cool: one of the dumbest ideas i ever heard, yes it seems practical, but remember myles this is no 13in rim, its 17in, and there is possibility that the mag might have a hair line fracture

Edited by MYSTIK

• 4 weeks later...
:dance::no2::y: one of the dumbest ideas i ever heard, yes it seems practical, but remember myles this is no 13in rim, its 17in, and there is possibility that the mag might have a hair line fracture

Thats what i thought. A tube for 17's would be like hens teeth to find me thinks.

And with the possibility that it has a crack :) Id be shitting myself driving on it, let alone any high speed driving.

Thats what i thought. A tube for 17's would be like hens teeth to find me thinks.

And with the possibility that it has a crack :dance: Id be shitting myself driving on it, let alone any high speed driving.

plus its not pretty when a alloy/mag wheel implodes on itself because it was fractured