October 2, 200917 yr Author comment_378375 Damn, I quite enjoy taking something that comes in a lot of boxes and piecing it back into something that works but hell, the worst thing about this project is the fact that I just don't quite know what bits I'm missing. I just need a lathe, so all the little axle collars, washers and junk I need I could just make em up as I go. Got the handle bars on (crude little temporary brackets) and it looks tough. The All Bike swapmeet might net me a couple of seat springs, so I'll tack the seat on, and I'll slap on the pegs and levers to get an idea of the riding position. Report
October 2, 200917 yr comment_378554 I look forward to seeing this all complete. I'm buying myself a pit bike in the next 3-4 weeks, so I can go have some off-road action :) Report
October 2, 200917 yr Author comment_378566 yeh wicked. Let me know, my old man got his ning ning 200 2 stroke yammy running and rego'd we'll go for a burn. Report
October 3, 200917 yr comment_378611 Can't rego a pit bike, but my cousin's mate may let a few of us go up to his 10,000 hectares of land at Morgan :) Trailer it up there and camping the night sounds like a plan. Report
October 5, 200917 yr Author comment_379328 Funny you should say that, about 6 months ago, came up to the blackwood roundabout at dusk and two dudes on pitbikes, no plates or anything, came through it and shot up the road! fairly brazen I thought. I went to the bike swapmeet this weekend and scored a set of saddle springs for the seat. Running 4 inchers for the moment, by the time I shift the mounts forward it should be a good riding position. Was going to tack the seat mounts on but I ran out of Argon welding up a bench for my little shed I'm putting up. Back to BOC I go.... Report
October 6, 200917 yr comment_379412 this sounds like an awesome project philbey my dad, and my uncle (who is ex go-kart repairer/racer) built up a gokart from scratch, ran into so many friggen problems your build looks like its going along without many hitches, are you going for a more laid back seating position or a lay forward drag style? Report
October 8, 200916 yr Author comment_380062 ahh man don't jinx me!! haha. Going the hunched forward style. Not likely to be ideal posture wise, it's all about making the bike look tough! Those bars I'm running will be canted forward so that the top bars are on a horizontal plane. Much like the goldy green triumph in the earlier post. I'll get a pic of it tonight, Ive got the bars crudely mounted at and I'll be tack welding the seat into place. Starting to come together.... Report
October 9, 200916 yr Author comment_380311 More work done. I got the seat bracket tacked on (thats always fun given the money I paid for it). Mounted the springs on the seat. Bought some nice coped bungs to mount the lower end of the seat and tacked them to the crossbar. Cross bar shifted up slightly as well. Not convinced yet. The seat looks quite far forward, the wheel is right back at the moment though so that will look better when it comes forward. The springs are 4 inch, but I reckon it might work better with 3 inchers. I'll think about it.... I really need to get my actual camera out to get pics of this...... Report
October 22, 200916 yr Author comment_384249 So I got my actual camera out and took some actual photos. In the daylight and all. fabbed up some crude peg mounts and I reckon the seat is too far forward. It's going to be a pain, but I'll shift it back about 2 inches.... A real pain because I have to take to my expensive (but Crazy *twirl*) looking seat bracket with the grinder. All good. The gap between motor and rear wheel will also fill up with things like batteries, 6 pack esky, 8-ball in a sock hanger and maybe a little 1L fuel tin for when I run it out of petrol. Been researching the electrics too; It'll be basically an on switch, starter, headlight and brakelight circuits. Indicators, pfffft. Note the project haircut below. Edited October 22, 200916 yr by philbey Report
October 22, 200916 yr comment_384425 Lookin' good dude. I'll have to come check this out at some point. :lolcry: Report
October 22, 200916 yr Author comment_384525 Yeh for sure. I was going to reposition the seat last night but I got distracted mounting gauges in my Wagon.... Thing is the mount I made is a really ratty chop of an old console panel but it's taking me too much time!! Report
October 22, 200916 yr comment_384528 this is so damm cool. much better than the bling choppers you see on a certain show on the discovery channel. Edited October 22, 200916 yr by Axentrik Report
October 23, 200916 yr Author comment_384546 Yep. Billet and fat rear tyres suck balls. check out www.chopcult.com for a cool Gallery. www.jockeyjournal.com has plenty of cool pics in the forums too. The bike scene is cool because you can do so much more outrageous stuff with them, much easier. Report
December 3, 200916 yr Author comment_395191 Long time no update. Pics to come this weekend. I cut off and remounted the seat bracket further back on the frame. In the pics previously, it was just too high and too far forward, looked goofy. It's come back about 60mm, doesn't sound like much but it's a huge improvement. Also reangled the springs so that I can pull it forward in the hinge bracket, it's slotted for about 2 inch movement. Bought some cool oldschool pegs. Mmmm Vintagey. Went to Bendigo swapmeet. Picked up a triumph front fender, ribbed for her pleasure and duckbilled. Pics to come. Oldschoole Gold-Red fade paintwork with Lacework over the top. Needs panelwork, started filling holes last night.... More TIG practice. Also picked up a 21inch Akront front wheel, I'll get that laced to a drum I think, might put it on the next bike. Report
December 3, 200916 yr comment_395203 I really really like this Would love to build something similar at some stage, my welding sucks though haha Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now