Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Philbeys Yamaha Xs650 Custom Motorbike

Featured Replies

  • Author

Damn, I quite enjoy taking something that comes in a lot of boxes and piecing it back into something that works but hell, the worst thing about this project is the fact that I just don't quite know what bits I'm missing. I just need a lathe, so all the little axle collars, washers and junk I need I could just make em up as I go.

 

Got the handle bars on (crude little temporary brackets) and it looks tough. The All Bike swapmeet might net me a couple of seat springs, so I'll tack the seat on, and I'll slap on the pegs and levers to get an idea of the riding position.

  • Replies 95
  • Views 330.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • You should try and get that bike transported to the 'National Automobile Museum of Tasmania'...... http://www.about-australia.com/travel-guid...um-of-tasmania/   I'm sure they'd be happy to have it

Posted Images

Can't rego a pit bike, but my cousin's mate may let a few of us go up to his 10,000 hectares of land at Morgan :)

 

Trailer it up there and camping the night sounds like a plan.

  • Author

Funny you should say that, about 6 months ago, came up to the blackwood roundabout at dusk and two dudes on pitbikes, no plates or anything, came through it and shot up the road!

 

fairly brazen I thought.

 

I went to the bike swapmeet this weekend and scored a set of saddle springs for the seat. Running 4 inchers for the moment, by the time I shift the mounts forward it should be a good riding position.

 

Was going to tack the seat mounts on but I ran out of Argon welding up a bench for my little shed I'm putting up. Back to BOC I go....

this sounds like an awesome project philbey

my dad, and my uncle (who is ex go-kart repairer/racer) built up a gokart from scratch, ran into so many friggen problems

your build looks like its going along without many hitches, are you going for a more laid back seating position or a lay forward drag style?

  • Author

ahh man don't jinx me!! haha.

 

Going the hunched forward style. Not likely to be ideal posture wise, it's all about making the bike look tough! Those bars I'm running will be canted forward so that the top bars are on a horizontal plane. Much like the goldy green triumph in the earlier post.

 

I'll get a pic of it tonight, Ive got the bars crudely mounted at and I'll be tack welding the seat into place. Starting to come together....

  • Author

More work done. I got the seat bracket tacked on (thats always fun given the money I paid for it). Mounted the springs on the seat. Bought some nice coped bungs to mount the lower end of the seat and tacked them to the crossbar.

 

Cross bar shifted up slightly as well.

 

7878.jpg

 

Not convinced yet. The seat looks quite far forward, the wheel is right back at the moment though so that will look better when it comes forward. The springs are 4 inch, but I reckon it might work better with 3 inchers. I'll think about it....

 

7876.jpg

 

I really need to get my actual camera out to get pics of this......

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I got my actual camera out and took some actual photos. In the daylight and all.

 

fabbed up some crude peg mounts and I reckon the seat is too far forward. It's going to be a pain, but I'll shift it back about 2 inches.... A real pain because I have to take to my expensive (but Crazy *twirl*) looking seat bracket with the grinder. All good.

 

The gap between motor and rear wheel will also fill up with things like batteries, 6 pack esky, 8-ball in a sock hanger and maybe a little 1L fuel tin for when I run it out of petrol.

 

Been researching the electrics too; It'll be basically an on switch, starter, headlight and brakelight circuits. Indicators, pfffft.

 

8334.jpg

 

8335.jpg

 

 

Note the project haircut below.

 

8336.jpg

Edited by philbey

  • Author

Yeh for sure. I was going to reposition the seat last night but I got distracted mounting gauges in my Wagon.... Thing is the mount I made is a really ratty chop of an old console panel but it's taking me too much time!!

this is so damm cool. much better than the bling choppers you see on a certain show on the discovery channel.

Edited by Axentrik

  • Author

Yep. Billet and fat rear tyres suck balls.

 

check out www.chopcult.com for a cool Gallery. www.jockeyjournal.com has plenty of cool pics in the forums too.

 

The bike scene is cool because you can do so much more outrageous stuff with them, much easier.

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Long time no update. Pics to come this weekend.

 

I cut off and remounted the seat bracket further back on the frame. In the pics previously, it was just too high and too far forward, looked goofy. It's come back about 60mm, doesn't sound like much but it's a huge improvement. Also reangled the springs so that I can pull it forward in the hinge bracket, it's slotted for about 2 inch movement.

 

Bought some cool oldschool pegs. Mmmm Vintagey.

 

10257.jpg

 

Went to Bendigo swapmeet. Picked up a triumph front fender, ribbed for her pleasure and duckbilled. Pics to come. Oldschoole Gold-Red fade paintwork with Lacework over the top. Needs panelwork, started filling holes last night.... More TIG practice.

 

Also picked up a 21inch Akront front wheel, I'll get that laced to a drum I think, might put it on the next bike.

I really really like this

 

Would love to build something similar at some stage, my welding sucks though haha

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.