Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4k Tappet Adjustment Help

Featured Replies

Hi all,

Can anyone walk me through the correct way to check/adjust the tappets on my 4K engine and what measurement, they are a little noisy.

Does the engine need to be at a certain point and if so then how do I manually turn it?

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Also, any suggestions on why it is so rattly on start up, it rattles for roughly 3-4 seconds and then goes away.

 

Thanks all,

  • Author
mate, top right hand corner of the page is the SEARCH tab, which you obviously didn't use first cause this was only just covered last week!!! :hmm:

 

Maybe also wiki "oil pressure"! :cool:

 

Ok, so I searched Tappet so it was really general and I only found 1 write up, it was the clearances for the tappets, so I guess I need a little more info, what side is what, do I need to turn the motor to a certain point and how, how do I recognise the difference in intake and exhaust tappets, and about the wiki oil pressure, what do I do about that?

Please don't take any offence - but by the sounds of it you have NO IDEA. :hmm: You need to take it to somebody that knows what they're doing, ie a mechanic or by yourself a manual like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-K-SERIES-ENG...A1%7C240%3A1318

And it'll give you the step by step guide you need.

 

Also scroll down the KExx area and find a thread called "4k valve clearances". :cool:

  • Author
Please don't take any offence - but by the sounds of it you have NO IDEA. :hmm: You need to take it to somebody that knows what they're doing, ie a mechanic or by yourself a manual like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-K-SERIES-ENG...A1%7C240%3A1318

And it'll give you the step by step guide you need.

 

Also scroll down the KExx area and find a thread called "4k valve clearances". :cool:

Thanks mate,

no offence taken, just gotta learn somewhere!

Why would you post this twice in two different sections within a half an hour apart? :bang:

 

Try searching PROPERLY, not a once off attempt looking for the word tappet, try also with "lifter", "rocker", "clearance", "gap" etc. Like Taz said, there's been a couple of threads about it in the last month.

 

Buy a manual, they are easily available. I bought both mine (different publishers) for 5 bucks a pop.

  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, just thought I'd put my two-bob in.

A manual is the best thing you can have for this kind of thing. This is a simple adjustment on a 4K engine.

The Gregory workshop manual is the one I use, I have no idea where to get it though so good luck to you sir.

Even though it's probably already been covered in other topics, (I haven't looked yet), always rely on your feel between the tappets.

Sound advice, considering I havent yet completely stopped that irritating ticking noise. :locked:

This may deviate away from the topic but i think i should post it up here rather than making another post.

I have just degreed my cam in today and got to setting the tappet clearences of the 3k.I have consulted the sheet that was given to

me by my re-grinder and it states.Running clearance IN .017 and Ex 0.17.Now my question is, are those the tappet clearances i should use when the valves are hot or cold?

Edited by harun

This may deviate away from the topic but i think i should post it up here rather than making another post.

I have just degreed my cam in today and got to setting the tappet clearences of the 3k.I have consulted the sheet that was given to

me by my re-grinder and it states.Running clearance IN .017 and Ex 0.17.Now my question is, are those the tappet clearances i should use when the valves are hot or cold?

 

Well I know nothing of cams or anything like that, because mines stock 4k, I always do them hot, thats what the manual says.

Nice car by the way. :locked:

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.