Ae71 Slider

dbr11k

hey all ive been slowly fixing up my rolla and trying to make it slide a bit better

i lowered it a fair height on the w/e and put in an adjustable sway bar at the back

now all i have to do is find some smaller rims and it will sit at just the right height

i have some ae86 struts a front sway bar and a locker diff to go in to, does any one have any ideas what would be the next best thing do get suspension wise

let me know what you all think

Edited by dbr11k

Members dont see this ad

some decent shocks?

camber tops?

lcas?

coilovers and heavier springs?

power steering arms?

lock spacer?

have a look on ae86dc, got lots of drift suspenison setups on there :)

i like the paint theyve done a real nice job on it, needs some chrome bumpers though

Cheers

Travis

thanks for the kind words,

i also have some monroe gas shocks for the back to go in, don't know what there off but they were in my other 71 and they worked just fine. also the struts have RCA's on them

the paint job is pretty shit on closer inspection i was gunna fix it up but I'm gunna slide it any ways so yeah

cheers

Edited by dbr11k

was just curious with your shinny wheels, used to have some obsessed with wing mirrors, just wondering if it were the same with chrome wheels

I Lol'd :wink:

If you want a better setup (that is, after you get some decent wheels) you're on the right track with the new struts. This will give you a much, much wider variety to the choice of decent shock inserts you will be able to choose from, aswell as open up options for future break upgrades. Start with new shocks front and rear, and some springs with the correct spring rate to match the shocks. Front wise, depending on your ride height, I'd say a standard length replacement AE86 insert should be ok with a 6-7kg/mm spring. If you end up going too low though, you'll need to look into a shorter stroke insert and section the strut tube accordingly. As for rear, looking at your photo, I'd say go with some new KYB Commodore wagon shocks (good value for money) and a 4-5kg/mm spring. Part number is 343113 IIRC for the rear shock. If you get the AE86 struts in, try and find some XT130 Corona LCAs as well as they will give you a little bit of neg camber and track at the front. Roughly about the 1 - 2º neg camber and i think about a 20mm o/all track increase, which is all you will really need if the car is also a streeter. Plus they are a straight bolt in so while you have the struts out, make the most of itand do them at the same time.

That is really all you need to get a bit of a "drift" setup happening. Maybe some thicker sway bars would be the next option down the track but the above setup should suffice if your just getting into it. Lock spacers or power-steering arms...meh, each to their own. Not really necessary. As for coilovers and camber plates, they are more a wank factor to most people and not a necessity for someone just starting out. Ideally you can combine them with better adjustable shocks to tune the handleing of the car for each particular track your on, but for 90% of people, they will just slam them as low as they can go and dial in as much negative camber they can and never change them.

Good luck with it all. Atleast your doing the right thing and moving away from the 18" chrome life. :)

haha yeah i was thinking that was what you meant after i though about it for a while, no not on this car but i we used to have a family of willy wag tails that would always run into tinted windows... over and over again haha

they don't do it on this car probably because the slud gun fixed that problem lol

blinded.. yeah the 18's look pretty cool but are not real practical.. and wow thanks for all the info much obliged !! as i said i already have the thicker, adjustable sway bars to go in, i just havent done the front one yet, i have the rear one set as stiff as it will go.. it made a hell of a difference already

what are LCA's? is that lower control arm spacer? if it is i already have them on the struts.. sorry I'm new to the whole suspension thing

cheerio

EDIT: i see your from wagga we will have to go for a cruise one day

EDIT: it took a while but i figured out it has RCA's on it not lca's lol

Edited by dbr11k

LCA = Lower control arm.

Basically, if you replace the standard length ones with longer items, ie Corona, the base of the strut will be sitting out further than it was, thus increasing track and creating negative camber. If you go the longer LCAs, you'll need to adjust the tie rods out to make up for the increased track, so make sure you book in for a wheel alignment :) The LCA is the length of metal running from the strut base to the car underbody. If the AE86 struts have them, they are useless to you as they are no longer than the standard AE71 ones so no point at all using them. Try the wreckers for a pair of Corona ones if you want them. Last time I was at Fernleigh Rd Wreckers there were a couple of XT130's one of which I took my pair from.

Yeah didn't even realise you were in Wagga until you mentioned it. Once I get my car back a cruise may be on the cards.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, how long have you been cruising around Wagga in the AE? Don't think I've seen it around at all.

Edited by bLinded_

longer lca's are a dodgy way of adding camber, you better off just using camber tops to give you that extra camber and get extra track from your wheels.

looks ok, would be sweet slammed on mrk3s or formula mesh

good to see your getting rid of them horrible rims

thanks for the replies,

I'm not the richest man in the world and my guess is that longer lca's would be a cheaper option for more camber..

roo.. what are the name of your rims i absoloutly in love with them haha, and while were at it.. get the centres powder coated gold would look awsome

$1000 firm i just wanna get rid of them but no one wants them lol

ill be putting the struts in this w/e so ill take a few pics and what not

oh and i think ive been out once in the rolla in wagga its to far to travel just to get harrased by the cops for not having an engineers cert

cheerio

longer lca's are a dodgy way of adding camber, you better off just using camber tops to give you that extra camber and get extra track from your wheels.

looks ok, would be sweet slammed on mrk3s or formula mesh

good to see your getting rid of them horrible rims

For someone just starting a drift car and on a budget, $50 for slightly longer LCAs that are a direct bolt in is a much better option than spending $150-300 on camber plates and $300+ for new front rims, both of which do the same thing. Why is it "dodgy" anyway? Maybe for Sigma LCAs which are stupidly long and require the castor rod mount holes to be redrilled, but for the Corona ones, I can't see why it is dodgy.

Very much agree on the SSR Mesh for this. Would look very tidy with a fresh set with silver centres :dance: