chappo12

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea thanks so much guys I'm gonna get another motor and and swap cams

i wanted to no is it hard to get every thing right once you shave the head

and i think ill go with that Tighe 104: 25-65, 270 degrees, 0.423" valvelift (best for powerful 4K/5K, alot of torque, 7500rpm peak power)

how much compression should i ran with this cam

also wanted to no what to say to the head shop

Had it reground to a Tighe 104 profile and comes on strong about 4500 and pulls well into 7000 rpm. I wouldn't class it as a very "lumpy" cam, but I think that it is a good size for street driving, whilst giving power up high if you want it.

Sounds alright to me, but its still wants to make its full power at high revs, so you want to make sure you have a well balanced motor. Wade 169 might be more conservative choice.

Read This thread as well.

Search the forums for the 5 or so different cam names in the FAQ and read peoples opinion. What you need to tell your engine is the type of driveability you want - Peaky narrow band, plenty of low down torque but still revs well, good mid to upper range etc.

Your cam can make you loads of horsepower but if it makes its upper 30 percent of that power in the 7500-8000 rpm range, whats the point?

The only problem is they stopped grinding the 169x a couple of years ago. What Wade call the 169 now is not the same.

It was 30/70 with about .400 lift IIRC.

Had one in the car for a while and was a good lumpstick. I think Xany may have my old one.........

Edited by Redwarf

I reckon that 270 degree probably isn't too bad an idea in a 4k. Certainly seems reasonably popular in the FAQ. I'm thinking about this one for my next motor. Keep some cash aside for getting the carb jetted reasonably as well. Should be fairly drivable. It won't be really smooth to drive, but should be pretty good.

i have a 290degree cam in my 4ac, also has 32/36 weber, electronic ignition and exhaust. so very similar to your set-up!

it still has plenty of toque down low. its my daily driver and the only issue i have with it engine wise is the f@$ken weber needs a rebuild.

its happy to pull from 2k or so. standard drivetrain but has smallish tyres on the back which does help (175/65R14)

power comes on from 3500/4000 and keeps pulling upto 7,000. does taper off a bit in the top mainly due to the exhaust being too restrictive

Edited by tas_ae71

• 2 weeks later...

hey gys so i don't make the same mistakes this is the setup i'll be running:

Twin Sidedraft SU carbs

Port Polished head, 3 angle grind, decked 20 thou

Stock bottom end

Extractors

Electric dizzy

Lightened flywheel

HD Clutch

Std 5speed Box

Std 5speed Diff

Running stockies most of the time but also using 13x7" superlights

Also i'll be running on 98RON BP fuel

now I'm not sure but is there anything that i should change before i put it back together ie. should i get ACL pistons and rings (as there mentioned in the FAQ and i work in the trade - spareparts - so i should get them cheap)

i think this will be suitable to run and run quite well! :|

hey gys so i don't make the same mistakes this is the setup i'll be running:

Twin Sidedraft SU carbs

Stock bottom end

Extractors

Electric dizzy

Lightened flywheel

HD Clutch

Std 5speed Box

Std 5speed Diff

now I'm not sure but is there anything that i should change before i put it back together ie. should i get ACL pistons and rings (as there mentioned in the FAQ and i work in the trade - spareparts - so i should get them cheap)

i think this will be suitable to run and run quite well! :cool:

what about a cam regrind and some valve springs?

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have this cam in my possesion now and double valve springs

so will this setup work?

Twin Sidedraft SU carbs

Stock bottom end

Extractors

Electric dizzy

Lightened flywheel

HD Clutch

Std 5speed Box

Std 5speed Diff

i think it should be fine to run that cam but am i missing anything or will it all now just come down to the tune?