Window Seals

steve_tm

Members dont see this ad

Its hard to describe...

Fit the seal onto the glass. Get some thin rope and loop it around the seal. Tighten it so that the flap will be pulled down enough to stick it onto the car. Loosen the rope and it should be fitten.

As I said, its hard to describe and doubt it makes sense.

I am guessing he is referring to sealant?

I would recommend the black gunk that doesn't cure off, specifically made for windscreen seals. You basically pump it in with a caulking gun till it starts oozing out.

Well if your talking about sikaflex, i too have been told that you shouldn't use silicone when fitting windscreens. Something about its the reason that some cars rust under/below the windscreen. Apparently it traps water at the bottom and doesn't let it drain.

depends on the car!

New cars all need windscreen sealant, older cars using the old rubbers when replacing the screens need sealant aswell.

The general rule with most models of older cars (I'm talking pre 80s) is that new rubbers should work fine with no sealant,

I personally would use sealant no matter what, but NEVER use sikaflex to put a window in, only use proper windscreen sealant. If you arent confident enough to put it in, find a mobile windscreen bloke, should only cost $100 or so to have him put your screen in.

If you do it yourself and get a bit messy with the sealant, then it dissolves with a spray of WD40. (always handy!)

On a side note (seem it was brought up)

Roping in screens only works for certain window rubbers aswell, but it is a really easy thing to do once you have done it a few times, its just really hard to explain, ALOT easier to demonstrate on the spot.

The stuff I have used is K & H Window sealant

According to their website it is a black butyl mastic, whatever that means

WINDSCREEN SEALER - BLACK

Black butyl mastic sealer

BWS500BK 500 gm

http://www.khst.com.au/index_autoretail.html

If you click on the arrow, you get 2 pages of more info on it.