How Much To Rebuild Silver 20v??

tgm

Howdy,

My first post....have a Silver top 20V in the 5 dr seca and its getting a bit tired and was wondering if anyone has recently rebuilt one and if they could give me an idea of the cost and any mods done to a similar engine.

Cheers - Troy

Members dont see this ad

depends on how much you can do yourself.

I rebuilt Karlies 4AGE 16v for under 1k easily.

New rings and bearings, full set of exhaust valves, head tidied up etc etc.

I did everything bar the head reco myself (was done by a friends shop)

The head cost 350 for the valve stems, hot tub, head skim and set of valves

Parts are resonably cheap, its the labour that kills things for most people.

depends on how much you can do yourself.

Exactly, if you have no mechanical knowledge or skills to do it yourself you would probably be up for about $2500 including remove and refit etc.

Which is why I suggested the option of a replacement second hand engine. You can get one of these without ECU and loom etc and all the things you don't need for prob $1K. Factor in about $500 for install and you have saved. Any importer worth their salt should offer a compression test prior to install and also some form of warranty especially if the engine is professionally installed.

The only drama there is you still have a 2nd hand engine.

I contemplated buying a 20v halfcut when Karlies engine was on the way out, but I decided that putting a 70+ thousand km engine into the car wasnt the best all round option as you don't know how its treated and how long it will last (although in 90% of the cases it might go for another 100thou+kms.)

If he spends the extra now and has someone freshen up the motor then he will know its 100% new, and after a run in, can lean on it with confidence.

The block wont necessarily have to be removed, if the bores are fine (no lip or marks deep enough to catch a finger nail)

I managed to rebuild karlies 16V in the car, light power hone, knocked the mains off from underneath and slipped the pistons out through the top.

It would have been easier to rebuild out of the car, but the pain of removing the gearbox and auxillaries far outweighed the hassle of stuffing around with it on the hoist.

Like OrangeLJ said, you'd be looking at at least a couple of grand for a good rebuild done at a shop.

IMHO the problem with second hand engines is that you are basically replacing what you started with, with exactly the same thing, it is still a second hand engine and will need some attention down the track. If I was to buy a second hand engine, it doesn't matter what the seller says about the condition of the engine and whether it still has compression, I would rebuild it anyway. Saves a lot more time and effort down the track and you know exactly what you've got and how reliable it will be...

Like OrangeLJ said, you'd be looking at at least a couple of grand for a good rebuild done at a shop.

IMHO the problem with second hand engines is that you are basically replacing what you started with, with exactly the same thing, it is still a second hand engine and will need some attention down the track. If I was to buy a second hand engine, it doesn't matter what the seller says about the condition of the engine and whether it still has compression, I would rebuild it anyway. Saves a lot more time and effort down the track and you know exactly what you've got and how reliable it will be...

Not that I am trying to ram my opinion home (but let me know if you think I am) replacement with second hand or rebuild also would depend on how long you plan on keeping the car.

If you plan on keeping the car forever then by all means rebuild, hell fix a whole heap of other things whilst it is off the road. If you plan on getting it back on the road and are going to get bored of it in a year's time and sell it, then do whatever for the cheapest cost you can to get it running again.

You sure as hell won't pull a much higher sale price due to the rebuilt engine, people's mentality when buying second hand cars does not cater for this. Most want the cheapest they can get their hands on.

Not that I am trying to ram my opinion home (but let me know if you think I am) replacement with second hand or rebuild also would depend on how long you plan on keeping the car.

If you plan on keeping the car forever then by all means rebuild, hell fix a whole heap of other things whilst it is off the road. If you plan on getting it back on the road and are going to get bored of it in a year's time and sell it, then do whatever for the cheapest cost you can to get it running again.

You sure as hell won't pull a much higher sale price due to the rebuilt engine, people's mentality when buying second hand cars does not cater for this. Most want the cheapest they can get their hands on.

but if you can show the buyers a list of receipts for a rebuilt engine it is a great selling point. REBUILD IT.

just my 2 cents

but if you can show the buyers a list of receipts for a rebuilt engine it is a great selling point. REBUILD IT.

just my 2 cents

So you spend all that money to get the same price but a better selling point, all the while having spent more money rebuilding it that you won't recover.... woopdy doo!!

Anyway, back on topic, does anyone from a workshop want to specify a cost to remove and refit and rebuild?

So you spend all that money to get the same price but a better selling point, all the while having spent more money rebuilding it that you won't recover.... woopdy doo!!

Anyway, back on topic, does anyone from a workshop want to specify a cost to remove and refit and rebuild?

yea but if theres another 1 down the road with original motor what one would you buy ?

yea but if theres another 1 down the road with original motor what one would you buy ?

Thanks Guys,

All good points...money isn't the question I have a quote for approx 2K just want to keep the shop honest...

and as said...with a rebuilt engine you know whats under the bonnet...plus my experience with (this engine) imports is all well and good with regards compression when you get it, but this one has lasted about 12,000ks and is down to 125psi in one cylinder and the other end is at 175...

Any other mods with the 20V whilst its out of the car???

Troy

• 4 weeks later...