Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brake Noise

Featured Replies

Hey guys, lately my brakes have been making a noise whenever they're on, even just slightly and I turn the steering wheel.

 

Its a similar noise to when the brakes are dusty but its only when I turn a corner before I take my foot off completely.

 

I'm about 90% sure the brakes aren't worn yet, and I think if they were dusty it would happen all the time...

 

 

Anyone have any ideas?

 

Thanks, Lexxi

could be your brake pad wear indicator??

is it a high pitch metal noise??

Agreed^^ I've been havin the same problem over the last month or so. Until yesterday when there was a constant noise. Turns out one of my brake pads was totally worn on the right hand side. Now I've replaced the brake pads but the noise is still there. So today I've ordered new rotars and a caliper kit as I believe that one of my calipers is ceased.

Check your brake pads and I'd say that they would be pretty worn.

  • Author

But they had like 75% left when I started actually driving it like....... 2 months ago? Maybe 3?

 

I'll have a look when I get time, but I'm pretty sure they're not worn.

 

I can't tell if its high or low pitched, its kind of a howl lol

But they had like 75% left when I started actually driving it like....... 2 months ago? Maybe 3?

 

I'll have a look when I get time, but I'm pretty sure they're not worn.

 

I can't tell if its high or low pitched, its kind of a howl lol

could be a seize caliper?

hose with water your calipers or disc,to get rid of brake dust?

But they had like 75% left when I started actually driving it like....... 2 months ago? Maybe 3?

 

I'll have a look when I get time, but I'm pretty sure they're not worn.

 

I can't tell if its high or low pitched, its kind of a howl lol

 

 

ive seen cheap as pads wear out in less than 3 months and if your slides are siezed it could just be wearing out 1 of the pads as above

your piston may be seized causing the inside pad to stay on the rotor after your foot has come off the brake.......

and then it could also be your slides which are seized which is causing the outer pad grab.....

best thing to do is pull the calipers apart and have alook to be sure....

may have to get a caliper kit...... and do some light honing........also use alot of never seize on the slides :y:

 

hope this helps

luke

  • Author

So what do I do if its a seized caliper and how much would it cost to get a caliper kit and stuff?

caliper kits are pretty cheap..... and if its seized you may be able to work it lose then take it apart and clean the bores of the slides and piston..

if you not very handy on the tools I'm sure the brake shop wouldnt cahrge to much>>>>maybe lol.........

if not get a workshop manual for the car and it should pretty much give you a step by step.....

I got a caliper kit today. Normal price is probably less than $20 but i got it cheaper again. It definitely seems that your havin the same problem as me.

  • Author

Quick question, is it dangerous or damaging to keep driving if it is a seized caliper?

 

And would that make the noise only when turning?

Quick question, is it dangerous or damaging to keep driving if it is a seized caliper?

 

And would that make the noise only when turning?

yes its dangerous!

why you may ask?well the braking wheel with the seized caliper can lock up causing you

to hit maybe oncoming cars,traffic,pedestrian other vehicles or power poles or leak brake fluid through

faulty brake caliper weak rubber components etc.don't forget it can wear out disc rotors aswell!get fix straight away pls!

  • Author

Coz I've been driving on it for a while and it hasn't affected my braking power yet. But maybe it hasn't done enough damage yet.

I'll have to fix it before the cruise then :P Good luck.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.