Brake Noise

Members dont see this ad

^ wheel bearings were the first thing that hit me when she said "howling"

Jack the car up, grab the wheel on either side and see how much play it has (as in if the wheel rocks when you put pressure on the sides)

If the caliper was keeping the pads engaged on the disk, then when you grabbed the brakes it would more then likely pull to one side.

In the absense of any symptoms other then the howling noise, Id almost put money on it being the wheel bearings :P

I still think that the problem is in the brakes somewhere. It sounds EXACTLY the same as what mine was doing for a month or so. Until it was a constant scraping sound. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing till I looked at my brake pads and realised that one of the pads was totally worn and it damaged my rotor. I think you should just do what I did. Rotors, brake pads, caliper kits and wheel bearings. If it's not one of those I'll eat my shoe.

I got mum's boyfriend to have a look at it again [last time he was in a bad mood and really couldn't be stuffed] and he said its just coz dust got in there and made the pad shiny or something, and it only happens when I turn coz the pads flex or something.

Thank you for trying to help and sorry for wasting your time :P

I got mum's boyfriend to have a look at it again [last time he was in a bad mood and really couldn't be stuffed] and he said its just coz dust got in there and made the pad shiny or something, and it only happens when I turn coz the pads flex or something.

Thank you for trying to help and sorry for wasting your time :P

Well that sounds like a crock of shit. Pad's "flexxing" when you turn? It's a strut, the whole wheel, disc, caliper and spring/shock turn as one, there's no "flexxing" there.

haha, I thought the same thing Hiro, but wasnt sure how to question what she wrote without sounding like I was being aggressive or demeening.

Are you on the brakes when it makes the noise (ie. braking through the corner?) or doe it happen even when you roll round the corner.

Does it change note at different speeds? (ie. ride a round about really slow, then a bit faster, does the frequency or pitch change?)

Is there any feedback through the steering to suggest vibrations? (usually wheel bearings will give you some form of vibration through the steering when they clonk around when turning.)