Bigport 3k

punchy111

Members dont see this ad

The answer to your question is here:

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?tit...gh_K_motor#Head

3k-b heads I've seen going for free to $150 but are usually about $80? Not sure on the reco cost of a head, but pretty sure it won't be cheap.

My suggestion if you want to make a bit more power is:

Buy a 4k or 5k for the same price of sourcing and reconditioning a 3k-b head... maybe even cheaper.

Or, if you want to keep your 3k engine: adapt a weber, give it some cam or an exhaust.

Edited by seabiscuit

The ultimate answer is, as usual, how much do you want to spend.

I have a 3K downstairs that has about the same output as a stock 4AG, with 250cc less capacity. I spent a Cecil B DeMille epic amount of money to get it that way, but I built it to be in a certain class.

Bigport heads (sorry Seabiscuit, a genuine K-B head is a different animal again...) do make a difference. Small though it may be. That, combined with a set of extractors, maybe a carbie upgrade (I'm a fan of the twin standard down drafts if you can get some...) will see you with a good streetable little car. It won't set the world alight, but it'll be fun. 4K and 5K motors are good upgrades, but if you want to stay 3K, so be it. You have to work with what you've got. :D

R

I have a 3K downstairs that has about the same output as a stock 4AG, with 250cc less capacity. I spent a Cecil B DeMille epic amount of money to get it that way, but I built it to be in a certain class.

a bit off topic but what class are you running in? nice allusion to Cecil B DeMille

Hi,

As Rob said a REAL K-B big port head is different and better than a normal big port head BUT there rare as and can't get gaskets for them anymore the only gasket I have for one is asbestos and no gasket maker has listings for them. Those K-B heads ran even more compression than a big port head etc.

Cameron