Smallport 4a Into Ke70

the_van_can

Hi , I am almost done with my smallport 4age conversion into a ke70 corolla. I was reading the witzl's guide on another forum

on the water outlet modifications. Why do I need to do the following because the FWD engine already has

a thermostat all hooked up and as far as I know its not in the way of things

forgive me for being a noob!

# Maintain the original FWD water pump and associated pipes etc. If you bought the motor from an importer or the like, remove the water pump and replace it (recommended highly).

# Take a remote thermostat housing (complete) from an AE82 4A-C (run down to your local self serve wreckers, cost $10)

# Get yourself the flat type rear water outlet on the back of the head (i got mine from an AE82 bigport 4age)**pictured below**

# Get yourself a handful of hose clamps (new) and random bits of radiator and heater hose from the wreckers.

# Cut the rear outlet of the waterpump (big pipe) around 3-4inches from behind the waterpump

# Do the same with the smaller outlet from the back of the top radiator inlet at the front of the motor

# Use a small straightish section of the smaller diameter pipe you just cut to use as an extension piece to connect two heater hoses together

# Put together as you see in the picture below

so yah, why do I need to do this. Thanks in advance for your help

Members dont see this ad

the RWD 4age has the thermostat located in the rear half of the waterpump... whereas the FWD versions don't, they have the thermostat mounted in a remote thermostat housing which sits on top of the gearbox.

Yuo NEEEEEED a thermostat.

You could of course try and hunt down the unobtainium RWD water pump, housings and top radiator outlet.... but youd have better luck finding a complete forumla atlantic 4ag in your local wreckers.

i should probably dig up those pics and rehost them one day too :)

Edited by the witzl

0k awesome, thanks for your help. the conversion had been going great till I tryed to order a new thermostat for

my remote thermo housing from an ae82 FWD 4a-c and they guy at toyota said that the ae92 4age already had

a remote thermostat and confused the crap out of me and my mate. ok cool, and the lesson is Never listen to

the parts department at toyota. - because I don't have that thermostat

Thanks!

Edited by the_van_can

and they guy at toyota said that the ae92 4age already had a remote thermostat and confused the crap out of me and my mate. ok cool,

and the lesson is Never listen to the parts department at toyota.

What do you mean? The parts guy was right, the FWD 4AGEs have a remote thermostat housing, mounted on top of the gearbox, as Witzl said.

What do you mean? The parts guy was right, the FWD 4AGEs have a remote thermostat housing, mounted on top of the gearbox, as Witzl said.

I knew someone would take what i said that way, I mean the ae92 fwd does have the remote thermostat but obviously I didnt get that from the

wreckers, The parts guy was confusing me and my mate by saying it already has one, but I don't have that one, the parts guy should of just looked up ae82 thermostat as I said. My mate is very knowlegable about cars and even he got confused by the guy, nevermind. Thanks for all your help

Edited by the_van_can

I knew someone would take what i said that way, I mean the ae92 fwd does have the remote thermostat but obviously I didnt get that from the

wreckers, The parts guy was confusing me and my mate by saying it already has one, but I don't have that one, the parts guy should of just looked up ae82 thermostat as I said. My mate is very knowlegable about cars and even he got confused by the guy, nevermind. Thanks for all your help

You're going to have to learn this lesson when asking almost ANY shop attendant for parts.

..... DUMB DOWN YOUR REQUEST......

When you are asking for a part such as in the situation above, just tell them its for an AE82. It just saves a lot of headaches :y:

Its like when i needed to get an output shaft seal for my W58 gearbox that was fitted to my RA28 celica. I just walked into toyota, and ask for a gearbox output shaft seal for an GA70 twin-turbo (cos thats the car it came from).

Witzl, if you could find and re post those photos that would be clost to the best thing ever!

I totally second that, and I'm sure many people would.

Witzl u would rock so much if you found time to find them and re-post them

note to everyone:

also that thing about getting the flat type rear water outlet from a bigport 4age

obviously it is the best option but I couldn't get them from my local Toyota without

a part number to get it overseas, but I could still buy a brand new small port water outlet

one and it clears the firewall fine for me in my ke70, not ideal but it works fine and is still sold new.

Google says:

GUD is an Australian comedic music-based trio comprised of Paul McDermott, previously of the Doug Anthony All Stars, former Gadflys guitarist Mick Moriarty, and Club Luna Band keyboard player Cameron Bruce. ...

Not the choice of word I'd have picked.

Maybe use "good" next time?

The Witzl, awesome avatar man :y:

Google says:

GUD is an Australian comedic music-based trio comprised of Paul McDermott, previously of the Doug Anthony All Stars, former Gadflys guitarist Mick Moriarty, and Club Luna Band keyboard player Cameron Bruce. ...

Not the choice of word I'd have picked.

Maybe use "good" next time?

The Witzl, awesome avatar man :y:

I gather you guys don't text message very often.

Edited by the_van_can