Ae71 Nicknamed Dice

fusion

Car: 1983 AE71 Corolla

Engine: Stocky 4A-C

Gearbox: AE71 T50, Need to change to a T18 T50

Diff: T18 with custom AE71 tailshaft

Suspension

Front: Aftermarket low and uprated springs, KYB Excel G shock absorbers, K-Mac camber and caster tops (customised), 24mm Selby Adjustable Swaybar, Super Pro Caster arm bushes

Rear: Aftermarket low and uprated springs, KYB Excel G rear shock absorbers

Wheels/Tyres

14" x 6" Delta Mesh with Yokohama A Drives I think

th_AE712.jpg

Done:

- Swapped over to a rebuilt steering rack

- Brand new clutch

- Removed Air-Con

- Cleaned all the interior

- Put on a decent aftermarket steering wheel

- New license plates, and moved to stock position

- 2" exhaust system from headers

Need to do:

- Install Soarer fog lights

- Find another dash top

- New bushes

- Install 32 / 36 Weber

- Install Electonic dizzy setup

- Install thermo fan

- Get better driving lights (Narva)

- Get rust cut out and guards flared

Edited by fusion

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, stated above that I had already moved it back. It wasn't my thing and it was blocking the front indicator, so cops would of loved me.

And I want to change to a T18 T50 in the hope that my speedo will be correct. I got one lying around, just need to swap the bellhousings over :yes: At the moment the speedo is out by 10%

The picture above is from when I first got it pretty much.

- Matt black stockys with retreads

- Some mad clown stickering on the windows

- Cut springs

- Locked diff

- License plates painted over and not in stock position

So yeah, done a big clean up to get it all tidy again

Cheers Fusion

Edited by fusion

Yes but I'm pretty sure a t18 t50 wont bolt onto a 4a. Different amount of splines.

However, can't you just take the speedo gear out of the t50 box and put it in the ae71 t50?

Travis.

It depends on which model T18 the box came out of. Also the incorrect splining can be fixed by using the front half of the tailshaft that runs with that gearbox. The input shafts are the same, it's the output shafts that vary the number of splines.

Cheers guys, its not in the greatest of condition paint wise, but it looks good from afar :yes:

And cheers Machq thats exactly right. I have up to now used T50's from a TA22, T18 and AE71 so I am getting pretty familiar with them hahaha Just hoping that it might help the problem because it isn't fun always checking and calculating your speed

Need to get some better pictures up

Edited by fusion

Yeah, T18 boxes can be used with a 4A, just need to swap over bell housings and get a tail shaft to suit.

What I don't understand is why the speedo would be out if it's an AE71 with an AE71 T50.. Fair enough if it was originally auto so the diff would change things, but I've got the same problem. :hmm:

Took a T50 from an AE71 to put into my manual KE70 and the speedo is off by about 15% or so, slower. :yes:

About the only two factors that would come to mind would be the change in diff ratio (I think its different from AE71 borgy to T18 T-series, but not 100%) and the change in tyres / rims (13 x 5.5 to 14 x 6) that would change the final drive ratio

Also I am no mechanic or knowledgeable person in this area, but the gear ratio in the gearbox may change it aswell, as that's where the speedo cable is connected (I think), although what I just said could be utter bull :yes:

Edited by fusion

dude, check the tyre diameter ratio from std to the current.

also the diff ratio maybe different to the std one.

just swap the speedo gear drive thing from the t-18 one.

A-series t-50's are better then T-series t50's. but id imagine ratios are the same between them. the throw to 5th is longer with the t-18 one. plus they all seem to be a bit more sloppy?

I nearly got done speeding after a gearbox swap. I went from a TE72 T50 "small spline" to a (model unknown) "big spline" T50 and it knocked the speedo out by about 15 km/h!

Yeah well, thats what I was worried about. However after using 2 GPS units and a couple of mates in their cars, we calculated it to be around 10% difference luckily. So it means 60kmph is actually 54kmph on the tacho.

At first I thought everyone was just slow :yes: