1G-GTE KE70's New Plan

1G-GTE KE70

yeah it was just I didn't know how much heat superchargers made, especially compared to a turbo.

Also you know how the GZE's don't rev as high as the N/A ones; what things can you do to give it a bigger rev limit?

probably not as crazy as Ueo's one that revs to like 12500 haha. 8500-9000 I'm thinking.. although that may be pretty hard with a GZE I'm not sure :)

P.S. still undecided wether I am putting this into an AE71 or a TE71 GT (import, non complied etc)

Edited by 1G-GTE KE70

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the SC12 supposedly doesn't like being revved past about 11,000rpm as it melts the teflon on the blades of the supercharger. With the standard pulleys on a AW11 4A-GZE the supercharger rotates at 1.2 times the engine speed. On the AE101 (not sure about AE92) it is spun at 1.25 times engine speed. So at 7,500rpm (the AE101 redline) the AE101's supercharger is spinning at 9,375rpm. So you should be able to rev the engine to about 8,800rpm within the safe limits of the supercharger. To get the engine to rev this hard, you'll need to go through the usual N/A performance upgrades of cams, timing, etc. I don't know how high you could take the static compression ratio though. Remember that the faster the supercharger spins, the more boost you'll get (unless you use a blow off valve or some other boost cutoff). At 11,000rpm the SC12 will be making about 13.5psi of boost (by my rough calculations). Of course if you're using an AW11 4AGZE you could run the engine to about 9,200rpm to still get supercharger speed of 11,000rpm. I'd love to think how much boost you'd get from a SC14 with the same rpm. I've got the figures somewhere to work it out, but haven't yet.

I also plan on making my 4A-GZE rev harder. As I've got the AE101 version, I'm thinking of a redline of about 8500-9000rpm. I think the 8.9:1 compression ratio should be okay, but I'm going to look into raising it as much as possible (probably to about 10.0:1).

I think I might have to change heads to either 16 valve bigport, or 20 valve (I like the idea of the 20 valve head). I'm thinking of an inlet cam of 304 degree duration and exhaust with 288 (I've heard they lose boost if you have matching durations). As this is race-use only I won't have to put up with low rpm driveability problems :).

I will also change the intake piping, as regardless of number of valves I'll probably go for quad throttles. I'll go for a big intake plenum, with smoother, bigger piping. I also think a bigger, front-mount intercooler will be in order.

The bonus is, I've already got extractors and a Microtech, so I won't have to pay for those later on! :P :) :dance:

don't use a bigport, they are too big....

small port will be fine, as will 20v, i think the blacktop one is better for boost.. or is it the other way around? i forget.

85-9000 on stock ae101 rods will be fine, bit of a shotpeen and polish is all you will need. and ARP rodbolts. don't even think of not using those....

also a TRD 0.5mm head gasket should be used, will help raise the comp and will hold together better

Thanks for the advice Mr Revhead. However I have a few questions.

1. According to Bill Sherwood (aka Billzilla, aka GOD) the small port head should be used for applications up to about 200hp (ported when getting this high) and big port is good for 200+hp. As I will be aiming for 250-300hp with my motor, I would have thought that big port would be better.

2. Are you thinking of the 0.5mm gasket for use with the 16v or 20v head?

3. Approximately what would my compression be with this gasket? (Is currently 8.9:1)

0.5mm is for 16v only.

not sure of the raise in compression, i don't trust my maths that much. but if you want to work it out, the stock gasket is 1.2mm. both measurements are when torqued up.

i have a mate with an n/a smallport that pushes out over 200hp, to do that they FILLED in a small port head....

the ports in a bigport are HUGE, thats a hell of a lot of airflow.... i know of plenty of 4agtes with over 250hp, and most if not all iknow of first hand use 20v or small port heads.

thats not to say you can't make that power with a bigport....

one thing i do know is, the secret is compression, and you seem to be on to that :)

I saw a KE30 coupe on the weekend with a 4AGE. The guy racing it was only revving it to 8200rpm to try and ensure longer life. He said the inside of the block had been painted to make it nice and slippery for the oil and that he was running LONG duration cams. This thing absolutely hammered!!! Now I am so revved up about doing up my 4A-GZE one day (when I've got the funds). I'm determined to get 300hp at the engine. Ideally this will be with the SC12, but if I have to go to a SC14, I will. But I'll be trying to get the highest compression I can get away with and stick with the SC12.