July 6, 200917 yr comment_357251 Hello everyone, I've been trying to remove the cam covers, but they won't shift. I have removed the chrome acorn nuts and the 6 bolts that hold the centre of the cover but no luck. I have hit the covers firmly but not too hard with a soft hammer from pretty much every angle, followed by an attempt to lift them by hand which just led to my fingers being torn off and the car backing into the garage door. :wink: It looks as if sealant has been applied around the whole mating surface between the covers and the head, even though it should only be in four specific places. I have searched the forum for information on this but to no avail. Can anyone help me please? Thank you for the help, Kynan Parris-Jones Report
July 7, 200917 yr comment_357425 i had this trouble with my cam covers as well. after removing the nuts you should also remove the rubber gaskets that are under nuts, this is what was holding my cam covers in place :wink: Report
July 7, 200917 yr comment_357432 yeh they do stick it down pretty well, if it still wont come off then get a a small smooth screw driver and pry them off as the rubber gasket on them does bond to the head sometimes due to heat. goodluck with it Report
July 7, 200917 yr Author comment_357449 Ok thanks a lot guys. :wink: I removed one rubber gasket, but because it was stuck down so hard, I thought that they werent to be removed. I'll have another bash at it tonight. :wink: Report
July 7, 200917 yr comment_357470 yeah you remove them and replace them with new ones from toyota :wink: Report
July 7, 200917 yr comment_357478 yea, take the steel/ruber seal washer off then there is a tab on the sides, just knock under that with a hammer and it should come off Report
July 7, 200917 yr Author comment_357616 Cool. Toyota parts are stupidly expensive here though. I'll wait a while I think. Report
July 8, 200917 yr comment_357693 those little washers shouldn't be to expensive to buy, the most expensive would be the replacement camcover gaskets themselves, and you local Toyota dealer should have them on the shelf and just to give you and idea i paid $1.45 per washer, so it ended up being $11.60 for all 8 :wink: and being that your from england, it will depend, just give a few toyota dealers a ring and get a price. Edited July 8, 200917 yr by MYSTIK Report
July 8, 200917 yr Author comment_357750 those little washers shouldn't be to expensive to buy, the most expensive would be the replacement camcover gaskets themselves, and you local Toyota dealer should have them on the shelf and just to give you and idea i paid $1.45 per washer, so it ended up being $11.60 for all 8 :wink: and being that your from england, it will depend, just give a few toyota dealers a ring and get a price. Ok cool. I'll see what Toyota can do for me then. They don't sound too expensive. It's just somone on the U.K. Toyota Owners Club, had to pay £80 for an engine oil dipstick! :wink: Report
July 8, 200917 yr comment_357751 yeah toyota can be all over the place with its pricing, so its pot luck when buying parts sometimes :wink: Edit: here is the part no. 90210‑06008 washer/seal Edited July 8, 200917 yr by MYSTIK Report
July 8, 200917 yr comment_357793 if you have trouble with toyota pricing i got a full gasket set that included the washer rubber thing and the cam cover gasket was durapro brand if that helps, they might be cheaper option Report
July 8, 200917 yr Author comment_357857 Thanks for all the help. I'll be getting prices when I find the time. I haven't had any time to work on the engine so far :yes: I'll get a complete price for all the things that I'll need to put the engine back together. You guys have been so much more helpful then some TOC members are, I'm glad I found this site! :wink: Report
July 9, 200917 yr comment_357876 I buy my parts from Mark at Manawatu Toyota in NZ (I'm in Australia.) Report
July 10, 200917 yr Author comment_358186 I got the cam covers off now and I'm spraying them red. I know that everyone does that but it looks great. I'll paint the 'Twin Cam' in black and the other bits in silver/white. I don't know where to get gloss engine paint though. All the high-temp stuff is matted really badly. No shine at all. Report
July 10, 200917 yr comment_358189 use VHT engine enamel comes in wrinkle, and gloss this is how mine turned out with a straight gloss black Edited July 10, 200917 yr by MYSTIK Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now