Removing The Cam-cover (4age)

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to remove the cam covers, but they won't shift.

I have removed the chrome acorn nuts and the 6 bolts that hold the centre of the cover but no luck. I have hit the covers firmly but not too hard with a soft hammer from pretty much every angle, followed by an attempt to lift them by hand which just led to my fingers being torn off and the car backing into the garage door. :wink:

It looks as if sealant has been applied around the whole mating surface between the covers and the head, even though it should only be in four specific places. I have searched the forum for information on this but to no avail.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you for the help,

Kynan Parris-Jones

Members dont see this ad

those little washers shouldn't be to expensive to buy, the most expensive would be the replacement camcover gaskets themselves, and you local Toyota dealer should have them on the shelf

and just to give you and idea i paid $1.45 per washer, so it ended up being $11.60 for all 8 :wink:

and being that your from england, it will depend, just give a few toyota dealers a ring and get a price.

Edited by MYSTIK

those little washers shouldn't be to expensive to buy, the most expensive would be the replacement camcover gaskets themselves, and you local Toyota dealer should have them on the shelf

and just to give you and idea i paid $1.45 per washer, so it ended up being $11.60 for all 8 :wink:

and being that your from england, it will depend, just give a few toyota dealers a ring and get a price.

Ok cool.

I'll see what Toyota can do for me then. They don't sound too expensive.

It's just somone on the U.K. Toyota Owners Club, had to pay £80 for an engine oil dipstick! :wink:

Thanks for all the help.

I'll be getting prices when I find the time. I haven't had any time to work on the engine so far :yes:

I'll get a complete price for all the things that I'll need to put the engine back together.

You guys have been so much more helpful then some TOC members are, I'm glad I found this site! :wink:

I got the cam covers off now and I'm spraying them red. I know that everyone does that but it looks great. I'll paint the 'Twin Cam' in black and the other bits in silver/white.

I don't know where to get gloss engine paint though. All the high-temp stuff is matted really badly. No shine at all.