Cfm And Carbs

Herbadiah

Members dont see this ad
what is the cfm of the 3tc and what would be a good 4 barrel carb. i don't want to go sidedrafts.

Cheapest upgrade would be a 32/36 Weber or re-jet your standard carb. I've never heard of anyone putting a 4 barrel onto a 4 cyl.

All you need for a 32/36 is the adapter plate and bolt it on! Shouldn't even need to re-jet it as it is suited to that size motor.

4 barrel always seems hilarious to me on a 4 cylinder.... I just keep thinking of funnels..... really, four barrels tapering into a tiny manifold........ two barrel downdraught or side draught carbies make more sense...

Robert.

4 Barrels work great .About 20 years ago when i was still an apprentice I modified a stand 4k manifold to take a 4barrel Mazda rotary carby from a 10a (see attachment if it uploads ) if you think about the stand twin 3k/4kB carby setup it is just a 4 barrel cut in half and the carby I used has just a bit less cfm as the two Asians that Toyota used it also had vacuum secondary’s but you don't have to balance it like you had to with the twin carbs. The primaries were a bit smaller than the Asians so it had good response & the secondary’s were about the same .I didn’t just bolt on an adapter plate to the stand manifold .I milled it open & re fabricated a new plenum chamber to match the 4 barrel so it wasn’t a funnel an flowed well.

post-867-1253955363_thumb.jpg

Sides work well my current project is a 45 Dellorto on a sc14 in a ke15 but for the first post there is a nice larger 4 barrel from the latter 12a Mazda’s that would go well on a 3t but you can't just bolt on an adaptor plate to a std manifold an get the goods .It will go on there but that’s about all .You have to enlarge & fabricate to make it work right & then tune it .If you don't have the skills to DIY it will cost too much .Go off the shelf after market which will be side draft or a two barrel Webber

post-867-1253958841_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add I put that larger 4 barrel carby on an 18RG an it worked great .So much so I did a second one for a friend unfortunately I don't take any picks but it was a complete aluminum manifold not a modified std one. Both were in 80 model 4x4 hiluxes so if anyone comes across a custom 4 barrel Nikie carby on an 18rg you know who made it