Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

relating to the interior , was the speaker set up, i couldnt realy paint inside the doors until i set up the speakers ,well i could but I'm trying to do as much finishing off work then paint ,that way I'm not chopping up freshly painted stuff making a hell of a mess so ,the idea was to figure out how I'm going to mount the speakers , also how i used to have front speakers was sitting on fibreglass pods, now these are fine for that job, and kinda look pretty cool , but i found i would continuly kick the pod since it stuck out very far from the door,

so had to come up with a slim line version to do the same thing i guess,

in the end as per usual i ended up with a slightly complicated way of doing things , but at the time it seemed the best answer to the problem,kind of went with it, but it certainly was alot more work than realy was needed, ahh well its over with now, but if i was to do it again mite have spent a bit more time researching and thinking of a prefered option over what i did,

so basicly ,the speakers needed to be hard mounted as close to the door as poss, and a cover had to be made to fit over the speaker, which lead to another small problem,i realy don't like all these wierd ass looking speaker grills there making these days, spider shapes and wheels and wierd ass s#$t, i just wanted something clean and tidy looking, less tacky sort of thing , thats when i decided to design and make my own speaker grill type pods , this turned in to a lot of crazy work that i probably didnt need to do lol,any way never mind,

after figuring out where i wanted the speaker on the door, cut a ruff hole for it ....

61447439.jpg

next i was left with a hole but not the most solid area to place a speaker, so designed and cut out , a steal plate for the speaker to be secured to ....

14824704.jpg

then grinded back the primer around the plate and welded it into place.....

52470107.jpg

next step was to grind back and make smooth and flush my unbeilevable welding !!!

73400181.jpg

all in place now ,a few holes for the speaker screws and the speaker now fitts the door in position with a good solid mounting area...

50249959.jpg

69002426x.jpg

then i wanted to seal up the repairs and bare metal etc, so masked off the area, a bit of sealer here and there, and was ready to get primed up ....

42035518.jpg

Edited by JDM55

Members dont see this ad

primer on...

77471152.jpg

54707473.jpg

i know i rattle on a bit and go into fair detail with what I'm doing, but i like to show how much work is actualy invovled in doing just some simple tasks,after allits all the small things that at the end of the day make the car what it is, just my thoughts any way .....

so that being done i could move on to look at the door trims ,or at least get an idea what i wanted to do for the speakers, after geting the door trim cut out and the speaker back in ,i figured id make a pod like speaker grill thingy , so out with the paper and card board and came up with a very basic shape to start with , could have left it at that, but oh no we have to go and get funky chickens happening ,

47626472.jpg

try and keep up here it gets a bit fiddley,haa, ok heres the basic shape cut out off some ply with a hole in the middle for the speaker , but also just beneath that hole it is resessed so the height of the speaker sticking off the door,wont interfer with the grill thingo.....

40816267.jpg

heres the recesse on the other side;;;;

65109967.jpg

next thing was to make a wooden ring that the actual grill could mount to, the grill i ended up using was actualy a 2 piece thing, one piece the grill 2nd piece a steal ring that the gril squesed on to,

so needed something for the grill to mount to .....tricky cuting out a wooden ring also lol ....

23338429.jpg

next the wooden ring was glued and clamped to the base piece ......

94416198.jpg

that gave me a base with a hole in it that nicely fits over the speaker and a wooden ring to mount the steal speaker grill mounting ring too :lolcry: ...

91983328.jpg

Edited by JDM55

next cut out a 2nd piece of wood, put a larger hole in it than the speaker ring and glued it onto the base, that left me with a fair chunky bit of wood, but some shaping and sanding and eventuly a bit of paint to seal the wood up it was looking more like what i was after.....

speks1.jpg

speks2.jpg

then finally after all that the pod thingo was covered with the same material as the door trim (was tricky to cover this shape as well)

speks3.jpg

and the finished thing :::

grillr.jpg

and on the completed door trim

ssssssso.jpg

good to hear you're on the mend mate :) My fav build thread has been revived :)

How much was the varex muffler?

cheers mate, got a few things to post up over the next few days so keep an eye out, the muffler was just under 400 aus dollars, a bit on the pricey side, but it is highly polished s/s , 3" inlet and out let, and comes with a remote control of all things ,to operate the butterfly inside the chamber, be interesting to see how it goes, cheers

Glad your back into it man, this is an awesome build. Very inspiring

thanks alot there mate yeah I'm glad too , realy want this finished this year so I'm going to be pushing a bit hard over the next few months , fingers crossed can hold it together,funds are still very tite (next to zero) haha but doing as much as i can on the cheap and by myself seems to save a fair bit of cash,

cheers

and now for some fun stuff, but more importantly a big step in the progress, partly due to money restricitions and wanting to avoid the mechanical side for a while, i decide to start geting some paint on the car!!

finally after 2 years looking very close to getting it painted,

so as with everything on this build certain things relate to certain other things so had to set a bit of a plan out before diving in to just spraying the car and being done with it,

first of all i couldnt paint the engine bay as i still have to have the engineer check over the car once its running and didnt feel like going thru all that work just to turn around and be told i have to cut something here,grind this,add a thing here do this, which these vic engineers seem to be coming famous for,well at least in my dealings with them,

so no paint on engine bay,

next had to decide about the order of painting paint out sides then the inside ,or paint insides then the out side,what about over spray from painting the outside going all over the painted insides stuff like that , wanted to do it once and do it right, well at least to the best of my ability ,lol

decided to go with the logical way and paint the insides ,bolt together and hit the whole out side of the car, so then shes fairly well done,still this is a masive task and to do bymy self like everything on the car takes alot of time ....

85428980.jpg

so heres the shell as it is at the moment, now I'm a car painter not a panel beater, so my panel skills are fairly average i spose , but for what ive done it should be ok for what i need, not going in shows and stuff like that i mean ,I'm build this to drive not sitt there,

99868486.jpg

starting with the doors and panels , the fun job of sanding in great detail begins!

using 320, dry then 600 wet then scotch bright, and alot of time , alot of cleaning and using airguns and water and prepsol , etc

99180871.jpg

54900025.jpg

68654260.jpg

after the panels were all sanded, thats all the insides 4 doors,bonnet ,boot lid , guards,

turned my attention to the shell, sanded the door shuts and the boot insides,

73419344.jpg

after the shell was all prepaired, and cleaned up, got the shell in to the oven !! woo exciting stuff ,first steps to geting some real colour on the thing,can see the exstentive masking up lolol , again over kill , but all part of it ,

10148617.jpg

removed the door hindges at the last moments i ummed and ahhed about it, but turned out the rite move ,

45322821.jpg

69459279.jpg

the masking in the boot was set up to allow the hindges to be pushed down and up with out disturbing the rest of it

20885739.jpg

Edited by JDM55

after a bit of work ended up with some paint on the thing!! the colour has several pearls in it so getting a good picture is very hard as it looks differnt in differnt angles and lights but any way heres a few shot of the colour on the shell insides,.....

13256948.jpg

all paint is ppg and the cost of this paint was quite abit of money ,put it this way the auctal paint far out wieghs the cost of the car ,hahaha ,how ever it is quality paint and lasts a long time , you get what you pay for i spose

64843175.jpg

38849190.jpg

same shot looks differnt ....

15580676.jpg

have to say i am loving this colour ,its very clean ,bright and dark sparkly but not too sparkley but not too much ,all in all its very nice I'm quite happy with it

41547863.jpg

18174996.jpg

sexy

46914852.jpg

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Edited by JDM55

after all that it was time to get the parts in and paint then also,,,

26148680.jpg

4 doors bonnet and boot and 8 door hinges afair bit of painting ,spec when your trying to do a good job lol,

everything jamed in the oven.....

75193227.jpg

19082391.jpg

46824074.jpg

again with the magic gleaming blue :happy:

59957697.jpg

48189381.jpg

28746150.jpg

door with custom speaker thingos :P

50220375.jpg

79070668.jpg

so finally got all the insides painted up , next plan was to get all the panels back on and line up the whole thing ,which seem slike an easy task ,but gess it takes a long time , far to many movement options on the doors haha, any way to fit the doors i needed the catches and the latchs put back in .....

55240774.jpg

also bot rid of all the old bolts ,got all new stainless steel shiney ones :P there arnt cheap when you need a hell of alot of them :bash:

46923711.jpg

door insides .....

74353613.jpg

wooo hinges back on,and catches and now the first door!!! its exciting stuff rite here lolol

29508207.jpg

2nd door!!!!!!!

42882183.jpg

45534463.jpg

and boot lid

18329915.jpg

:dance:

bonnet hinges ...

37470834.jpg

34080641.jpg

looking like a car again!!!!!

99049925.jpg

rr door

69197962.jpg

front right door!!!!!! this is a big deal right here, the car hasnt had panels on it for over 2 years and to see them finally gonig back on was great :wink:

73179717.jpg