Ke55 Project

Jason KE30

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been busy as with my new job so haven't really had the time to work on this beast. But now that I'm gettin into the swing of things I'm gonna start puttin my head down with the ke55.

First things first, i'm dismantling the front suspension and putting brand new shockers, bushes and brakes in. And I figure while everything is out, I'm gonna clean up and respray the inner guard area. I'm wondering whether to use 2pak black or just go with some enamel black?

Anyway I'll keep everyone updated with her progress.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I think I'll be goin with the deadener. Which I'll have to get off you Ryan :D

Ok so I went down to my local Pedders buddies about the front suspension setup, and here's what we have in mind.

He will try and source an adjustable shocker from somewhere because as far as we know no-one makes one for a ke30/55. And because it will cost $400 just for an above standard shocker, he did some investigationing and found out that you can get sports mr2 shockers that will fit into the ke55 struts, but, they are a tad too short. So to stop it from bottoming out, all we'd have to do is make a spacer of some kind and put it in the bottom of the strut chamber and the problem would be fixed. I'll be taking a strut down to him on the weekend so he can have a thourough look at it.

Also he is going to source the best possibe bushes and a heavy duty front sway bar for the girl. But i need to know, how thick is a stock 55 sway bar? Unfortunately I don't have vernier calipers to measure mine.

Ok so i've got the struts out and will be taking them to Pedders tomorrow so my mates dad can have a browse and see what we can do to get the best possible suspension. Hopefully will be getting the rear quarter welded in some time this weekend. Will take pictures and post them up for all to see.

Allan at Pedders = Win.

I was using that deadener last night. Found it doesnt like to spread at low temps (to be expected with bitumen).

So i stuck it over a bucket with a small fire in it and heated it up till it begins to steam. Goes on REALLY well when really warm

Ok so today I was pretty busy workin on the car. Here's some before and after shots of the inner guard area:

DSCF0119.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

Was pretty easy to do. Bought some k&h spray on deadener and just cleaned the little bit of surface rust and go over everything with wax and grease remover and then it was straight forward. Just sprayed it on. Came up a million bucks too.

Edited by Jason KE30

Yea, I'll be taking out the stock exhaust this week some time, along with the rear leaves and diff. So once I have it taken out I'll let you know.

Gonna be painting the diff in a 2pak black. Apparently the paint that I'll be using dries as hard as a rock so it's perfect for everything underneath.

Ok so I took out the diff and rear leaf springs tonight. Gonna take out the exhaust tomorrow arvo. Then I'm going to start cleaning up everything underneath to make it ready for paint. After the entire underneath is complete, that's when I'll start working on all my panels and body work.

I'm also thinking that maybe in the future I'll either get an efi kit for this thing, or twin side-drafts. Opinions on which one would be highly appreciated.

Quick question, is there a gasket inbetween the diff and diff housing?? If there is, mine definitely needs replacing.

Cheers, Jason