Ignition Timing On 4age

TARAKAN

After finally getting the car to run now i have a different problem. I can't seem to get the timing right. I'm pretty sure its the timing. the car bogs below 4000rpm and when i try to accelerate hard at a constant speed like to go up a hill or something it feels like ther is no power. Sometimes when i put it all to TDC it runs absolutly fine until i turn it of. once i turn it off and try to start again it idles like crap and doesnt want to rev at all or it starts to choke and backfire. any hepl would b greatly appreciated. thanks

Members dont see this ad

It is EFI. what do you mean by check plug? which one is it. i don't think that anything is shorting out. I can put everything to TDC and the car will run fine. it just that i gota do that everytime because once it stops and i try to start it again the timing is out.

• 2 weeks later...

First question - do you have a manual for the motor ? To set the timing correctly you'll have to short out two connections in the check plug (over near the wiper motor, can't really tell you more cause of a fading memory). While you've got the check plug shorted out, jump in the cab turn the key to the ignition spot and see if any fault codes come up. From memory the timing is 10deg.

Next is making sure that the MAP sensor is connected and also the TPS.

Yeah it might be an idea to check the timing marks for the cams, crank and make sure its all correct.

And make sure the bolts for the dizzy are up tight on the dizzy and not bottoming out in the head.

I'd be checking for fault codes before ripping things apart

• 1 month later...

i have the same problem i have no power below 4000rpm.

when i short the diagnostic plug it doesn't change the timing,

setting the timing on 10degrees or 16 doesn't make a difference,

when i pull the vacuum line off the map sensor it tries to stall,

i pulled the fuel filter off and it was caked so ill get a new one today hopefully and try again, I'm thinking its a fuel pressure problem

Edited by Damon550