Installing Tachos.

Bekkkkah

So thismorning my fiance and I went and picked up Penny the Twenny, also knows as Mungi Mods, KE20.

My other half brought it for me, as I need to learn manual, and as soon as I saw the picture of it I fell in love with it.

The only thing that is concerning me is that it's all in Miles per hour..

And I have NO idea what speed is what.

I want to keep the Miles in the dash, as I want to preserve it as much as I can.

But on top of the dash I want to put in a Speedo tacho and Revs tacho, as I'm concerned that I'm going to speed and loose my Learners before I even get to my P's.

And the fact my partner thinks he's speedy gonzalis and knows everything lol.

How hard would it be to wire up these tachos properly?

I can easily mount them on, and I'll be hopefully purchasing a new dash in the not to distant future.

Members dont see this ad
Just remember this:

25mph = 40kmhr

40mph = 64kmhr

50mph = 80kmhr

60mph = 96kmhr

Memorise that and you'll be fine, I've driven MPH cars all my life and it's never been a problem.

Yeah but problem is, i need to know the Km's for my log book.

QLD transport said i have to have it in K's, otherwise the hours and the k's driven wont match up.

its farken retarded.

Just keep track of your miles and multiply it by 1.62 and write that down in your logbook.

If that's all you need it for, it's not particularly difficult.

Otherwise, Raven's suggestion is your best bet. Aftermarket speedo's are expensive and you'll spend just as much on the speed sender as you will on the speedo.

They're not particularly difficult to wire up either if you've got some basic knowledge of positives and negatives.

Edited by philbey

I have a KM/H dash that would plug straight in. :P

Its a spare one too that I doubt I'll be using anytime soon.

If you want it, $30+postage costs and it also has a trip meter too.

Oh my god serious??

That would be soooooooo awesome!!!

I just didn't want to put in all these fancy arse tachos and all that.

how much would postage be to Bellbird Park 4300.

congrats on buying the car i was looking to buy this car but its better in your hands as i can see she's in good hands.

just buy Raven cluster panel as its more practical for later use,nice car keep us posted whatever you do with her? :P

yeah will do ;)

looking at new paint, new dash, etc.

glad i snatched her up. dad always tought me to respect my cars :yes:

and that i shall do by loving her lol.

can't wait to go crusing in her on my own.

8 months and counting..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bud nice ride, i just got my first car ke70 rolla :thumbsup: i'll have my p's soon too :D had my L's suspended for 3months lol :) but anyway, if u don't want to muck around multiplying miles etc. just grab another dash shouldnt cost to much and it would plug straight in, if not I'm pretty sure u can find a digital tacho.

anyways man GL with ur ride ;) have fun.

You can do what everyone is telling you to do as in just install another dash, but if you know how to use a soldering iron and know a little bit about electronics jaycar does a tacho and speedo kit, you just have to solder all the components on and run a wire from your tacho and also have to put a little magnet setup on your tail shaft which shouldn't be too hard. I have both kits, just haven't got round to fitting them

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I actually bought it

I looked into it as i know the MPH conversion math and it was still incorrect.

Have the 5 speed it's giving a different reading (incorrect) as it's a different ratio. Luckily Mungi mods has the kit needed to make it acurate and I'm getting a KPH dash in hopefully next week for cheap as.

New dash soon too (Raven woo), new interior carpets, respray etc etc

I'll make a thread one of these days