V6 Toyotas And Timing Belts

Rollasrus

looking at buying a 1999-2005 model toyota Avalon or Camry v6 (hopefully a v6 manual wagon camry if I can find one)

There are lots of them around the 100k mark. Just wondering if they have a timing belt thats needs changing then and if so how much would it be to do.

I have done a timing belt in a 2000 corolla not long ago and it was pretty easy but doing a frontwheel drive v6 seems to be a pain in the arse.

Any help guys, hope they have a timing chain.

Members dont see this ad

I have an 04 Avalon, the 1MZ motor is fantastic! Yes it does have a timing belt but from what I hear it is not very pricey to replace (compared to the $1500+ for a 1UZ timing belt kit... without fitting).

I haven't had to do this yet so I don't have an exact cost for you, but I highly recommend the engine!

belt gets done at 150k service on a 1mz-fe (or most of them at least).

big services are at 40k intervals (if on 10k service interval) and maybe 45?? km intervals if on a 15k service interval? I do more services on 10k service interval cars, I did a heap of 1mz belts and spark plugs not too long ago.

Plugs (platinum) get done approx 90/100k service??

Damn my memory is getting funny.... too many holdens lately.

Robert.

belt gets done at 150k service on a 1mz-fe (or most of them at least).

big services are at 40k intervals (if on 10k service interval) and maybe 45?? km intervals if on a 15k service interval? I do more services on 10k service interval cars, I did a heap of 1mz belts and spark plugs not too long ago.

Plugs (platinum) get done approx 90/100k service??

Damn my memory is getting funny.... too many holdens lately.

Robert.

yep plugs at 100'000kms, and timing belt kit at 150'000kms

Cheers for your help guys, one more Q. I preferr manual boxes so if I can find a v6 camry manual it would be ideal, but I am warming to an avalon due to its slightly more space, the sleeper value and the fact cause they were not as popular as a camry they seem to be a little cheaper. So whats the auto box behind the 1mz motor like overall, or would I be better spending the extra and waiting for an elusive camry v6 manual wagon

they take tqd III fluid, (normal dex III) and I'd change it when you buy it and change it every 45k (avalons I'm sure are a 15k interval) regardless of what the service book says (it probably does have an interval).

Can't say I've ever seen one die, but I've seen plenty of black fluid come out and plenty more with discoloured fluid that I didn't get to change.....

I swear sometimes, cars should get priority over customers..... would make it so much better for us poor sods buying used cars, its a shame it doesn't work like that though :S

Robert.

Well finally put a deposit and picking it up tomorrow.

A 2002 avalon VXI auto with 10 months rego and full service history from the one toyota dealer and only 93000km for $8500 plus got a 2 grand trade in on my Jeep Cherokee so was a 6500 changeover.

I found it goes harder than the same v6 auto combination in a camry and felt more nimble, dunno why?

It has so much good luxury gear. woodgrain,leather wheel and gearknob, climate control, cruise, elactric seats, twin front and side airbags, trip computer etc... it goes on.

Now the fight will happen with the missus in the morning before we go to our respective jos, whos gonna take the avalon and who takes the 2000 ae112 corolla manual (her car from her single days).

Thanks for your mechanical help to all you guys that replied to me with my questions about the smooth 1mz motor.

When the avalon came out they played with the cam timing to get a couple of extra horses. The needed to justify the extra expense. Didn't work. still it makes a good 2nd hand car.

Please let us know how the steering goes? The avalon used a steering box & not a rack. This is because it was based on a mid 90's US design. Not a prob, just interested.

Good choice... welcome to the dark (grandpa spec) side! :lolcry:

I am yet to have anything beat me at the lights in the Avalon... sad but true. Absolutely fantastic when you have someone in a new XR8 next to you creeping the whole time, then you get 3 car lengths on him when it finally changes (happened yesterday with the whife driving) :jamie:

Top end is not great but she's fantastic of the line (0-70ish).

• 2 weeks later...

First thing is I found the steering to actually feel better with more feel and more direct than the 2004 camry v6 I test drove a few days earlier, yet its still light in tight spots but heavier than I was used to in my old jeep cherokee (steering box car)

Yea I noticed they are snappy off the mark but also rolling acceleration is pretty good. I drive along a country 80km zone on my way to work and many times jump over the broken lines to overtake slow ones doing about 70, and it gets from 80 to about 120 very quickly (kickdown back to 2nd) and cause the whole package is so smooth you don't even realise how quick it gets. Also i found the handling to be very good, especially on high speed sweeping bends.

Also last week there was a guy at work with an old EL falcon xr8 that he claims has been tickled a bit over standard (I reckon he is talking crap though). came out of work in front of him and in a straight line he could not catch me.

I reckon this so called grandpas car is a bit of a sleeper. all the luxury kit when you are lazy, good acceleration and handling when you want a bit of fun, and heaps of room to keep the missus happy, all in a package that will outlast its rival holdens and fords.

last weekend i put a tank of 98 octane premium in it and i seem to be getting a little better mileage from this tank, or maybe its from the missus driving it this week as I take her 2000 rolla to work now and now she wont give me the avalon back, then again an ae112r rolla aint too bad.

Edited by Rollasrus

:( Agree with you on all of that, I love driving the Avalon. My comments on her lack of top end exceleration were compared to my Soarer, which probably wasn't being fair :y:

I'm booking mine in with Pedders in a week or 2: lowered springs, struts and swaybars. Should sharpen her up a bit.

Next thing we're doing after that is a nice big supercharger :dance:

Can't wait to take her down the quarter with that upgrade, should embarrass a lot of falcadores!!