Ke20 Project

oversteer

Hey guys thanks for all the replys

I have thought about all the problems you guys have bought up already when this car was just an idea in my head.

If I run through the car gearbox I will be able to run the bike motor in 5th gear only I would not drive it with 24 gears just have that option.

IN doing this I create a weak link in the system being the corolla gear box or uni joint that will marry the motor and box which means I will break them before I break the bike motor.

The low down torque isnt a drama like most people think even at 2000RPM the bike motor make close to the same torque as the old shitty corolla motor and that gets moving just fine

As for the electric motor sounds great but I don't have that kinda $$$$$

and yeas th RG500 would have been great and beleive me I asked the questions as I have alot of knowledge with them but part of my engieers report will have to pass RTA emmisions control not great news for a 2 stroke

I would think the bike clutch would be the weakest link, its designed for about 250kg not 850 ish, but I could be wrong

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why i wont be using it.

The clutch will be standard corolla

The HP loss to run the car gear box and clutch with reverse is worth it just for driveability.

Just letting all readers know that I received my motor yesterday and I decided against the R1

The motor that I decided on and is sitting here on my workshop floor

2000 GSXR 1300 HAYABUSA

should be fun will post pics of the motor soon just to show this car is for real

old customer of mine put a bussa into a mini (race car only) & my boss is building a formula car hillclimber using a bussa motor.

both utilise a chain drive to exposed diff center (look up Radical racecars etc) - it would not be too difficult to convert it to shaft drive but getting a diff of the appropriate ratio will be interesting

also - quaife make a reverser box for bike engines. (they make a gearbox assembly as well) expect to pay around $3k for the reverser box though.

i know of 3 bike engined vehicles registered in australia - I i think you will be very hard pressed getting this bike through as the engine is not emissioned for a car - & that is the important part.

2 are prb clubmans (slipped through a loophole, which was shut shortly after they were registered) 3rd is a caterham blackbird. (personal import)

other issue you may have is to do with oiling - sump design is less than optimum for a car.

Don't want to dampen you enthusiasm, but you have created a very difficult project. suggest you speak to rego people in your state as to weather this can be registered (& get it in writing if they say it can!!!) - no point in building an awesome weapon if you can't register it.

may be simpler to fit 3sgte etc into your ke20 - pretty straightforward in comparison to a bike engine!

T

.T. Thanks for the reply

I have the thumbs up from the engineer as far as emissions go

I am fully aware of the radical racecars as I'm involved heavily with west racecars they are just one of the same.

The quaife reverse box is not a bad product but I plan to do things a little different

I already have a better oil pump gear for more flow and windage tray for the sump so oiling shoulnt be a problem.

As for the chain drive I would start that project with a rear motor car like i FIAT that way could put the motor ontop of the rear axle.

Thanks a million for your reply I hope this can happen without to many dramas.

I have now sent all wiring away to the USA to be cut down for a car application

I have a gearbox out getting rebuilt and looking for (2) more if anyone out there has anything please let me know

with any luck I will start marrying the motor and box up in the next week or so.

Oversteer,

great on the engineer, however be aware that engineers & rta often do not see things the same way. often it pays to keep quiet about some things (from experience)

fiy mini was mid-engined.

why are you getting the wiring lom cut down? it basically has everything in it you would need for your '20 - & is a bloody neat loom. i can supply you wiring diagrams if you want?

are you referring to the ke20 box? i recently gave a motor & box away.........

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

The project is rolling along well

I should have my wiring harness and a few litlle bits n peices back from the USA early next week

I have ordered all the alluminium that I will need to start machining soon.

If all goes well I hope to have the car running in about 6-8 weeks

I am still in need of a good diff to put under the car.If anyone has some ides don't be shy to let me know

cheers