Te38 Wagon Build (from The Other Colony)

gambit4000s

Hey all! I am building a TE38 wagon in the US, working on building a 3RZ turbo.

I found rollaclub and curly's KE38 3RZ turbo while looking for information.

My build thread on 3TCGarage.com:

http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5330

Here's a brief summary of the last few weeks, I bought the car 12/26/09

Here's a few pictures as I bought it from the previous owner.

20rrdra.jpg

jfyjix.jpg

w0sx74.jpg

e9aqhh.jpg

25qw36q.jpg

l_9a02a9a4764844ee858eb2f0abdde23a.jpg

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7625.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

l_e165f422112c45d29a7a2fa04a71f515.jpg

l_592ef682b7b84c9ca1621bb78f0d8db9.jpg

l_1fa50957ebbd43278a8087b8630613a5.jpg

A few more of fitting a Recaro Profi-XL

I had it in using factory sliders cut down, to leave some adjustment if anyone else needed to drive it, but the sliders did not move far enough and I lost too much height, had 5"~ under the seat and I was into the headliner, oh well. I ended up with a flat frame mounted to the four factory holes, and extended it rearward to tie into the rear seat hinge mount(still need to finish this part), mounted the seat about 7" rearward of stock and about 4" lower, should give me enough room for a helmet. The mount will be reworked when the car gets a cage, but this allows me to drive the car while I build the swap and lays out the position I need to build the cage around

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

I removed the rear seat bottom, back, belts, passenger seat and carpeting as all were in generally poor condition. I don't have a wife, kids or friends to worry about, so i probably won't reinstall any of it. With my seat in i wont be able to flip and fold the rear seat anyway.

one of my boy

DSCN0031.jpg

Thats all for tonight, it's midnight here. I'll try to get more technical tomorrow.

Members dont see this ad

Yeah bumper laws here are a joke, I've been looking for a te27 bumper or something else thinner. Luckily; I live in an area without emissions, safety inspection, nothing at all, so swapping Euro, JDM, or any Rest of world stuff is easy. The engineer process you guys have is actually intriguing to me. I highly doubt my engine swap would make it through.

He's an Akita named Loki (Norse God of mischief) and boy does he live up to it :)

Yeah the laws leave a lot of POS's on the road.

A little tech to keep this on topic

I am working out the reciprocating assembly, It was suggested by curly(rollaclub member) to use Arias pistons and Pauter rods, and I am still considering that combination.'

Arias 3RZ pistons are only available in .020"/.50mm oversize and have an approximate 8.5:1 compression ratio. (1.476 height 23.5cc dish 430 grams) $485USD atomicspeedware.com

Arias makes a 2rz piston in an O/S 3.760"/95.50mm size with a lower compression height giving 8.3:1 (1.398" height 9cc dish 439 grams) $485USD atomicspeedware.com (used for paradiseracing.com $399, with the upgraded wrist pins, new rings and ceramic coating)

Weisco makes a 2/3rz piston(same piston) in a stock 3.740"/95mm size with a little lower compression height for a 8.3:1 ratio (1.398" height 10cc dish 408 grams 416 for O/S) $478USD Spec w/photo

CP makes a 3rz piston in a stock size and similar spec to the Arias 3rz $368USD closeout raceeng.com

I have always believed that dish is not the best way to increase chamber volume as I think it would interfere with flame propagation and possibly cause hot spots, leading to detonation, so even if I do go with Arias, I would probably use the 2rz piston. I am wondering about the effect of lower deck height.

Pauter seems to be one of the few readily available rods but I did find a custom set of Crower billet rods.

Pauter forged rod stock length $792USD atomicspeedware.com

Crower billet rod stock length $589USD closeout raceeng.com

basically I'm looking at:

Arias 2rz/Pauter $1330 from atomicspeedware.com +bore job -8.3:1

Arias 3rz/Pauter $1330 from atomicspeedware.com +bore job -8.5:1

CP 3rz/ Crower $1000 from raceeng.com +hone -8.5:1 (discounted for complete set)

Wiesco 2/3rz/Pauter $1270 from different suppliers +hone -8.3:1

Used Arias/Crower $988 from different supplies +hone -8.3:1

I want to avoid boring the block; the loss of material, lessened thermal mass, weakened cylinder walls will all eventually become concerns as I plan on starting around 14 pounds of boost and depending on fuel/turbo combinations; working my way up to 30+ pounds.

curly has stated he is currently fuel limited to 19 pounds but hopes to see 30 in the near future, I am very interested to see where he ends up in the next few months. I would think that with a lower static ratio; 40-45 pounds would be possible, pushing 550-600hp. This might be possible with his current combination.

:cool: lots of work to be done and I haven't touched the car in days... I find myself chanting "It will be worth it" over and over

• 2 weeks later...

I've been talking with ryan(slo-030) through pm the last week or so and i thought I'd copy it down here for my sake and anyone else thats interested

Hows things over there?

mostly good, I just got back from having my eye cut open for the fourth time in 8 months... |blink|

Still working out the internals for my 3rz turbo, I've got the crank, pistons and rods sorted out, looking into valvetrain, cam and head combinations now, pretty well set on the manifold and turbo, need to source a bellhousing clutch and decide on a transmission. Then comes the fun part, fuel/spark management and wiring :hmm:

I think I've scored a big Setrab oil cooler for 10% of retail, belonged to a Nascar team, never used. I guess driving in circles is good for something, it makes high end race parts dirt cheap when the team goes out of business

Having your eye cut open don't sound good at all :D

the 3rz-te sounds like its coming along nicely then. Do you know what bellhousing and gearbox Curly's running? I'd think something along the lines of W58 (non turbo supras) or the R154 (behind 2JZ-GTE's) but getting the latter to fit in the tunnel could bea pain in the ass.

Setrab oil cooler for 10% of retail....;) Good work. Make me wish some racing teams here could go out of business haha.

I think I found W59 trans cheap, very similar to w58 with a different 5th gear, out of a 2wd 97 Tacoma. I probably can score the diff too, I think its the same setup as curly but he might be using a 8" diff out of a hilux/T100. And since it's a later W trans it has the stronger synchros and steel midplate, IIRC early W58's had aluminum midplate, only 1 or 2 years of the supra trans had the steel plate. I'll have to ask at the wrecker if they have a 2wd 8" axle

Yep, the W58's with steel midplates are getting quite un common these days and people search high and low for them.

The HiLux diffs are damn near unbreakable behind a 4cyl. Ryan (13BT-KE20) is using a HiLux diff in his, you guessed it, 13BT KE20. Hold ups to the abuse just fine. But keep in mind his is a locker. I'm sure you'd be going with an LSD center?

Thanks for the diff info, I'll be using a locker. Supposedly the w58 5th is the same as the w57or56 and can be swapped into the 59(edit: I realized this is wrong), i'll look into it more later if 160-170mph just isn't cutting it :D

I've been told the W57 has a better 5th gear over the W58 as the gearing makes it a genuine 5spd (4th and 5th are closer together). Rather than the W58 which is more 4sp + overdrive. (big gap in gearing) but with the planned power and torque that goes with it, you shouldnt have a problem with a bit of a gap :D

i think it will work out a little better but i'll have to see.

What is the 38 going to be used for? Street, Drag, Circuit or Drift?

the short answer is Yes..

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
awesome got the 3rz in my hilux, great strong motors, loads of torque. Turbo=fun good luck mate

Definatly agree with the above comment.

Have been driving a 3rz hilux around the past couple days.

GOT TORQUE!?!?