Removing Timing Belt Covers

demuire

From http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm:

Some people who race prefer to run without the cam belt cover, on the basis that the belt will run cooler, and is readily visible for wear. The top two covers should be removed, however the bottom one remains in place to leave the timing marks visible. It is advisable to cut away the lower portion of the bottom cover to allow gunk (technical term!) to pass through and not build up. By all accounts an additional bonus is the more audible belt whine, that sounds similar to a blower drive, which may be useful in psyching out other racers!

Opinions? Isn't the cover to keep dust and stuff off the cam belt etc? I would assume that if you drive offroad or on dirt etc (autocross, rally etc) then taking the belt covers off wouldn't be the best idea in the world, since you'd be more prone to getting shit on the belt?

That said, I've got holes in my covers where the FWD engine mounts are supposed to stick out...

Members dont see this ad

agreed, not a good idea in a high-debris situation

as i'm sure you've seen, some of the sprinter boys cut the front out of the timing cover and epoxy a piece of clear perspex in its place, so you get the best of both worlds

hanging around with ken, you see some of his old cam covers on peoples cars, entire custom carbon fibre (sealed with fibreglass resin) etc :n:

Took the covers off last night just for fun and to see what it was like, and:

By all accounts an additional bonus is the more audible belt whine, that sounds similar to a blower drive, which may be useful in psyching out other racers!

This is true :n:

here in lismore you just put an sc14 on your 3.8L VS commodore ute (with FULLY SICK frontmount that you've been driving round with, disconnected, for the last 6 months) and wind the tension so tight it sounds like a 747 is landing every time you start the car

Holes in timing belt cover plated up, and covers back on the car.

Now I just need to sort out the major oil leak out my dizzy. Probably doesn't help that the exhaust manifold heat shield is touching the dizzy heat shield and probably passing on vibrations and stuff to the dizzy too. Have tried to bend it away, but may have to end up cutting the heat sheld cause there's so little space in there...

ah the old leaky 4age dizzy trick....

its either the oring around the shaft into the head. or the seal inside the dizzy. if its the later.... new dizzy time.

unless you manages to get it apart and can find a seal that fits. non servicable part according to toyota

Yes have seen several "tutorials" on how to replace the inner seal, but it all looks rather hard. I'll have a look at the O-ring sometime, it looks like all the oil is leaking out from around the outside of the housing, so hopefully it's that and not anything else. It's gotten so bad that it's dripping all over my garage floor too. Very annoying.

my 4ag in ae80 use to do this. just simpl take out the top cover and cut the lower belt cover. the sound is great...plus u can see ur belt condition.but that for a ff, for fr i think it would be best to cover it up.due to it position facing the gril.chances for UFO to get in is high....repeat I THINK!!!

UFO??? :D

Besides, the radiator and stuff is in the way. But no, I'll cover it up. Doesn't sound as cool, but is easier to work on the engine when it's running (no risk of sleeves and fingers and stuff getting caught in cam gears), and maybe the engine will last longer.