The 4k Trike

4k trike

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

+1 what gaskets you been using? Genuine toyota ones are worth every extra cent!!!

And what sort of base timing are you running?

SLW how does a VAC advance unit advance when under boost. Have a think about it dude! :)

Well maybe not under boost plus if you look at the time it was late and my brain wasn't working to good haha sorry taz my bad, but still maybe the vac advance could be set too far

I wasn't have a dig or anything man, I thought if you just had a little more of a think about it with an encouranging push you'd realise that your initial suggestion was a bit silly. :) We've all gotta learn somehow mate.

thanks guys

$55 grapite ? gasket from autobarn

couldent get genuine one in time

will get one next time

timing was about 22 deg at idle

what is base timing ?

the vacum retard/advance hoses on the dizzyare blocked

i think the msd unit (msd 6 btm) should retard /advance the spark itself (don't quote me)

the msd has a 1/8 vacum hose from it to the manifold

at the monemt ive got vac hose on the rear inlet pipeof the manifold (its not providing vacum regular)

i think i should have it on main blower pipe?

should i get the dizzy locked

some1 told me this idont understand it much

apreciate it :)

What I meant by base timing is what the timing at idle (no mechanical advancement) with the vac advance unit disconnected. Plugging the vac advance on should give you another 10-15* from memory so your base timing should be about right.

Vac/boost line should be fine on the manifold where you have it.

Because you have the BTM you shouldn't be locking the dizzy.

The BTM can only retard timing not advance it. All its doing is "delaying" the signal from the point/elec dizzy to fire the coil. This is why it can't advance.... because its can't give out a pulse to fire the coil before its recieved it itself.

So, I think your problem might be somewhere in the setup of the BTM. Doesn't it have a knob on it (or is that an extra plug on) to adjust how much timing is pulled out for X amount of boost?

Do you have an installation manual or something for the BTM you can give me a scan of to have a look at for you?

msd has a dial witch provides variable timing retard in relation to the amount of boost occering

ranges from 0deg to 3 deg per pound of boost

eg knob at 2deg

times max boost 6 pounds boost

= 12 deg

ill try to scan a copy

or i got a manual via msd wedsite

I have all ways locked the mechanical advance on the dissy a blown engines as you don't want any mechanical or vac advance set base where its happy and leaving . p.s this will save head gaskets and pistons

Cheers

1jz020

Yes that works mate....... but Sam has just spend $600 odd on an MSD unit which retards timing on boost. If you've locked dizzies for boosted carby setups before YOU SHOULD KNOW its far from ideal.

Got a link for the manual, I'll have a look over it. :)

Edited by Taz_Rx