Canberra Parts Thread

seabiscuit

What parts did you want out of it? Because I'm thinking of buying an AE71 for its gearbox mainly, plus a few other little bits. Found a KE70 the same as mine the other day, orange CS, unreg, weeds growing up around it outside someones house.

Well I would have used it as a bit of a paddock basher first then once it passed it's use by date just grab the 5k, 5 speed, diff, etc. and possibly some interior bits!

How come you're after a AE71 T-50?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last saturday, there was an ad in the canberra times stating, '$50 all you can carry, bring your own tools, 6 penney place QBN....'

I went to check it out during the week, looks like a junk yard. Had some cars, but most of the yard was covered up, and i counld't see in. Mite be worthwhile checking the paper this saturday, to see if the ad is in again....

Also don't forget QBN swap meet this weekend. Get in early to find those rolla bits!

I'll be there at the ford show in a great big yellow Fairlane!

Hi guys, thought this would be an ok thread to bust into the Canberra Rollaclub scene.

I'm newish to Canberra (been here for just over a year and a half now) but haven't had a Toyota to have fun with in that time. I had to leave my KE55 back in Melbourne as we didn't really have space for another car in the appartment we are leaving in and my gf complains too much about not having a car with air con.

I was out at the Thai food festival the other week and saw an AE86 (63 model SR5) for sale, the child inside me spoke up and somehow 4 days later I was driving home in it with a whole heap of plans and dreams for the future in my head.

I took it to Andys Auto in Fyshwick (as I don't know any mechanics) to get it looked at for the roadworthy. The spotted a couple of things wrong (oil leaks in the engine, front wheel bearings and leaking brakeline etc) but nothing seemed too serious to get it up and running for the roadworthy. Again, not knowing any mechanics and not knowing enough myself (or having the time/space to work on the car) I took it back to the mechanic to get everything fix. They called me up after having a closer look at what would have to be done to fix the problems and qouted the cost at "f@$king expensive" (their words, approximately $1500 for everything). Most of this cost was to fix the leaks in the engine. I got the wheel bearings and the brakeline done, but decided to leave the engine for now, as I don't really want to spend too much money keeping it alive since I was going to replace it a little in the future. This though leaves me with the problem of working on a car that isn't registered (and as I said before I can't really do much of the work myself).

I was thinking of going with the flock and getting a 4AGE-ZE chucked in and now that I've got problems getting the roadworthy with the engine I have it looks like I'll need to do it sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know of any good places to get the job done? I'd prefer a drive-in drive-out setup (as "doing things right" and not having the car broken down in the garage for a year was one of the rules laid out by my gf in the beginning). And possibly a place to get the engine and required parts from (if wherever I was getting it done couldn't do that for me).

Any help you can give would be great, as the project is now beginning to look a lot harder, more expensive and more time consuming than it did at the start (with part of my brain saying to just try and offload the car to someone else who wants a project). I guess most projects start out like this, but I had my dad (SlothSnr) helping a lot with the last car.

Does anyone know of any good places to get the job done?

Try Pharley's Spares & Repairs

Give Steve a call on 6260 1646 or drop in to 76 Sheppard Street in Hume (just up from Neal Bates)

Nice guy!

So did anyone as stupid as me go out to the swap meet at antarctica, sorry Queanbeyan?

Picked up a KE10 guard blinker and KE30 number plate light for 5 bucks, and a set of lowered springs for dad's fairlane for 70bucks!

Going back tomorrow!

Welcome to the Canberra RC section, Sloth!

Shame about the project limitations that you have! Will you be handing the car over them to do ALL the work?

I would recommend Phillip Head Services, obviously in Phillip. They did a great job on my head, they're really

friendly, are a good source for advice and are fairly priced. I'd imagine you'd be looking at quite a hefty price

to get it done, though.

Will you be sourcing the motor yourself?

ps. you need to get some pics of your new ride :jamie:

EDIT: I 2nd Pharley's Spares, too.

Edited by seabiscuit

So did anyone as stupid as me go out to the swap meet at antarctica, sorry Queanbeyan?

Not I! I had a few offers to go, but didn't have the money, or the sleep the night before to get there early enough.

Anything interesting apart from the KE10 and KE30 stuff out there?

Just bought a flat front KE70! God they look so much cooler than slant front KE70's. Not sure as to what I'm going to do with it, yet.

It's bloody clean for what I paid for it. 5k is pretty smokey and gearbox is munted, but other than that it's damn tight.

Trying to upload some pics of the 86 now (all the pics I have are fairly high res, so I'll have to shrink them).

I can try sourcing the motor if need be, but if the person doing the swap can be trusted to not rip me off I'd consider just getting them to do it.

I'm still open about what engine I'll chuck in there, 4AGE-ZE is one of my preferences, but I'm not really tied to the idea and would consider a CA18, SR20 (my housemate has a S13 with a CA18 that puts out 228rwkw and is fan of the CAs) or even a 1JZ or 2JZ (although I imagine they would be a little more expensive to fit and harder to get engineered).

I think for now I'm just going to get the stuff done to make the car roadworthy and then I can do the engine properly. One of the aims of the project was to do everything a right as possible, so I don't really wanna rush into getting the engine.

Thanks for your quick replies, I'll check out those places you recommended, and hopefully get a thread going about the project soon.

Yeah I went to the swap meet, didn't see the yellow Fairlane though. Didn't find anything, got wet and cold (damn ice), went back to my car and some bright spark had parked me in. ugh.

Seabiscuit, pics needed of flat front. No tacho soz :jamie:

Sloth, good luck with the 86, would like to see it on the next cruise!

Welcome to the Canberra RC section, Sloth!

Yes welcome, I should have said that first!

They did a great job on my head

:jamie: :( :) :D :lolcry: :lolcry:

sorry, I'm a small child, and find that Hilarious! !

didn't see the yellow Fairlane though

Yeah we decided not to take the old girl in the shitty weather....

But I'll be there tomorrow, helping with the judging on the American nationals.

Should be a great day, more rain, more hail, more wind, and snow down to 700 hundred meters! :bash:

Sloth, good luck with the 86, would like to see it on the next cruise!

Yeah, gotta try and be a little more active, when dad and I were back in Melbourne I was always working during the rollaclub get togethers :jamie: We'll have to get together sometime soon and have a beer, it would be good to chat with some real "car enthusiasts" (no one that I work with really understands cars or gets any enjoyment from them)

Did a little more research and I think I might steer clear of the 1jz and 2jz, from everything I've read online it seems like it would screw with the weight distribution (someone said it would be like a lead tipped arrow, lol), also you need to cut into the firewall to be able to fit the engine and radiator/intercooler and I think that's probably a bit too much work (also would be harder to get a 1.6 to 3 litre conversion engineered).

So I'm leaning back towards the 4AG conversion.

Anyway... I should really get off my ass and start a project thread...