Pulling Ke70 Differential Apart

Geeday Myself and my brother are having issues pulling the axles out of the Rear differential on a 1984 ke70. I assume they are all the same..

So i'm asking if i can get some photo diagrams how to pull this all apart on this exact car. Or step by step procedure on how to do it all..

The Whole rear is out of the car, (Wheel to wheel). Both sides were the drums connect to the shafts are undone.. But the axles still won't come out if you pull them.

What's the go ?

Cheers for any help :dance:.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeday Myself and my brother are having issues pulling the axles out of the Rear differential on a 1984 ke70. I assume they are all the same..

So i'm asking if i can get some photo diagrams how to pull this all apart on this exact car. Or step by step procedure on how to do it all..

The Whole rear is out of the car, (Wheel to wheel). Both sides were the drums connect to the shafts are undone.. But the axles still won't come out if you pull them.

What's the go ?

Cheers for any help :dance:.

Buy a gregory's which has the photo's and diagram etc. But here is a decent rundown.

1. Jack car up so wheels are off the ground. Ensure car will not MOVE as rear wheels (handbrake) will be in the air.

2. Remove wheel/s of axle/s to be removed (handbrake on helps)

3. Remove brake drum (disengage handbrake first) by trying to pull off. If it doesn't pull off, wedge with a screwdriver, tap with hammer.

If all else fails, screw in two bolts (size I'm unsure) into the tapped thread into the drum on the face of it, which will push drum off.

4. Unbolt axles by using an extension bar on a socket to go through the holes in the stud plate. There are four bolts holding in the axle.

Just spin the stud plate to line up the bolts to where you need it.

5. PULL! If you can't get it off, keep trying.

Clearly you've already done these steps, though. (You asked for a step by step procedure and there's not much else after the pull bit)

Seriously, just try harder. It's not going to fall out. Have you jimmied it with anything? Take some photo's of where you're up to and

what's been unbolted on the "Both sides were the drums connect to the shafts are undone".

got a slide hammer?

4 bolts behind the hub on each side that you have to undo though the little hole

they wont come out easy man.... you can try putting the drum back on backways and put 2 nuts loosly on so you can slide it in and out to yank the axel out....

or use a slide hammer which in term does the same thing but much easyer..

don't BE SOFT they will come......eventually

Do you need a slide hammer ?

I thought these were easy to pull out..

Anyways here's some pictures of it.

You'll see in one of the pictures that we put the brake drum on backwards to get more leverage. Still failed.

My brother pulled it out of the car though.

Click for bigger images..

th_Ke70Dif.jpg

th_Ke70Dif3.jpg

th_Ke70Dif2.jpg

th_Ke70Dif1.jpg

Might be a stupid question but have you undone the axle retainer bolts inside the drum assembly?

There's a copy of 30'ish mm holes in the axle mounting face to get a socket through onto them. There's 4x bolts on each axle.

After this is done the still won't just pull out as the axle bearing is basically pressed in.

To remove the axle get your drum and put it back on the BACKWARDS and then wind some wheel nuts back on a few turns - not all the way, you want the drum to be able to slide on the studs to use it as a slide hammer. Push it up agains the mounting face then pull back towards yourself vigorously. The axle should then pop out.

If it doesn't, do the same thing with a wheel instead of the drum for a bit more weight and force.

Circle around what?

Bit of a shame the diff is out of the car, its much easier to do with the weight of the car securing the diff. Last time I did this I used a big steel pole that weighed 20kgs and a length of chain on 2 opposite wheel studs.

Works good. A dif thats never been popped in 20 years would be a paint to do. Just stick at it, wedge the diff into something solid and yank like f@$k. :dance: