Valve, Head Cleanup

Twinky

3k heads also go down to around the 25mm mark, so you could well have a 3k manifold on a 4k head at a wrecker to display that overlap. At the end of the day it's largely irrelevant. There's quite a few here telling you those port sizes are ample for your motor. If you can get a manifold of a suitable size to match it then that's your best bet. Modifying one would be the second and next best option and probably time better spent than hanging around in a wreckers measuring a whole lot.

But hey, I kind of like scouting wreckers as well :bash:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Finally I have cleaned up the head! Must say it looks 100% better than it did before.

Managed to get a fair bit of pitting out but there is still some that are at least .5mm deap that I'm not confident to take out cause they are way too deep.

Now all that is left is to finish cleaning the valves! Just need to let my thumb recover from all the sanding/polishing.

Before

Cleanup011.jpg

Cleanup010.jpg

Must say it looks quite spiffy now!

Cleanup016.jpg

Mmmmmm..... Shiny...

Cleanup017.jpg

Hooray! The head is finished! All oiled up and ready to go back in! The proccess was not as hard as I first thought it was

more of just time consuming and thumb blistering.

Cleanup014.jpg

Now I have some more confusion to add. I had a closer look at my manifold and noticed some very noticable differences that I did not notice before.

My manifold has a bigger secondary inlet for the carby, a flat spot on #1 & #4 runner where it mates onto the head and has more mounting points on the manifold.

Also my manifold only has the number 3 cast on it.

Cleanup015.jpg

Cleanup020.jpg

The other manifold from a donor 4k does not have a bigger secondary but the same size ports. Also it does not have the flat spot nor the extra mounting points.

The donor manifold also has the number 11 cast on it but also has further castings that go 17111 - 24040

Cleanup021.jpg

The carby that is bolted onto my manifold does not accomidate the bigger secondary inlet therefore I am further confused.

Did the 3kbp carby have this bigger opening??

Functionally I doubt it's going to make much difference to you. Mount up the carb you're going to use, if you choose to use the manifold that has the same size opening. As long as there isn't a step under the space you're good to go.

Oh, and I'd check which one has the biggest ports on the face where it bolts to the head :jamie:

Yes they are infact mikuni's but they are from an Kawasaki GPZ 750. Diaphragm type slides.

Oh and you might be able to help me out, the fuel rail in the middle of the carbies supplies the fuel right? but there are another two connection points inbetween the outer two carbies, are they for fuel return or more fuel input?

you can see them quite clearly in the pic, the centre connection is the metal one and the outer two are black plastic (sitting a bit higher up).

Yes they are infact mikuni's but they are from an Kawasaki GPZ 750. Diaphragm type slides.

Oh and you might be able to help me out, the fuel rail in the middle of the carbies supplies the fuel right? but there are another two connection points inbetween the outer two carbies, are they for fuel return or more fuel input?

you can see them quite clearly in the pic, the centre connection is the metal one and the outer two are black plastic (sitting a bit higher up).

Ok, I thought they were from like a large FZR as they have a different slide setup as mine, Mine are the same but with slide venturies and butterfly throttles.

The outer 2 hoses are just breathers.

On my bike they just have a hose that goes straight up and loops over a clip on the airbox, I will have a look on the fzr website but I am pretty sure they just allow the diaphragm to move with ease.