"tweeting" "cricket Noise" 4k Ke70 Freshly Service

Hey guys, just serviced and tuned my 4k, replaced spark plugs, leads, dissy internals, oil, coolant, gapped points, re-timed, re tuned carby.

Now just got a few queries:

When cold and if i flatten the throttle the engine backfires out the carby (weber 32/32), only happens about once and when first turned on. Is this anything to worry about? Runs fine after about a minute or so of running.

The other night my second cylinder lead kept falling out, I'm sure i pushed it in as far as it would go!!!, i gave all 4 of my leads a good push this morning. Again is there anything causing that? or was it just falling off because it wasnt in hard enough.

Also I'm getting a tweeting noise, or the sound of a fast cricket coming from my engine bay, now i THINK its coming from the LHS of the engine, near the distributor. Anything to look into??

Also when setting the timing of the car, i think i set it to just above 10degrees, I'm not too sure where to set it haha, i just put it to where the engine sounded happiest, and took it for a drive and it seemed to go alright. What should i be looking for when setting the timing and adjusting the carby??

Bit of a list haha >.< but thanks for any help anyone can give!! much appreciated

Members dont see this ad
When cold and if i flatten the throttle the engine backfires out the carby (weber 32/32), only happens about once and when first turned on. Is this anything to worry about? Runs fine after about a minute or so of running.

Sounds like it's just running shit when it's cold. Wouldn't worry too much just let it warm up before flogging it.

The other night my second cylinder lead kept falling out, I'm sure i pushed it in as far as it would go!!!, i gave all 4 of my leads a good push this morning. Again is there anything causing that? or was it just falling off because it wasnt in hard enough.

Out of the dizzy or off the sparkplug? It's probably easiest to get a new set, but the rubber boots tend to slide down the cable, just try drag the connection back through the boot.

Also I'm getting a tweeting noise, or the sound of a fast cricket coming from my engine bay, now i THINK its coming from the LHS of the engine, near the distributor. Anything to look into??

Mortein? No seriously, sounds odd. probably just something loose, check all the bolts etc.

Also when setting the timing of the car, i think i set it to just above 10degrees, I'm not too sure where to set it haha, i just put it to where the engine sounded happiest, and took it for a drive and it seemed to go alright. What should i be looking for when setting the timing and adjusting the carby??

Probably about 8 degrees is all you need for a stocker, too much advance could start knocking at high revs.

Well it would be easy to elliminate as a problem. Just remove the fan belt and run the motor for a few seconds (so you don't cook it) and if its still "tweets" then you will know its NOT the fan belt. :(

Another way to elliminte it without having to remove the belt is - Start the motor and let it idle. Then press a cake of soap onto the belt so it picks some up. If the belt is squeeking then it'll stop with the soap on it.

Mate of mine used to have a squeeking fan belt and he used to soap it up once a week cause he hated the noise!! :D

I'm actually getting a similar sound coming from around the distributor area aswell, the only thing i can think of is when i had the engine apart we lightly wet sanded the oil pump end plate thing as it had grooves from wear. So i'm thinking that it could be no tolerance there anymore or something like that

G`day mate, I replaced my points in my 4k recently and ended up with a squeeky whistle too. It turned out to be the distributor shaft. A couple of drops of engine oil allowed to dribble down the shaft through the hole in the middle of the advance plate fixed it up. Don`t forget to put a tiny drop on the points rubbing block too. (where the brown bit rubs on the centre bit to open the points)

A quick squirt with a bit of water on your fan belt will tell you whether thats the problem there or not.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Old fella