R12 To R134a Retrofit Help Required

Evan G

I'm installing my a/c system to my new ke55.

i understand that all the Orings require replacement. receiver dyer and different filling ports are needed

is that it? Ive been reading a couple of pages from Google that my high low switch and orifice tube needs changing aswell?

a/c gurus help please

Members dont see this ad

HAHAHA In my KE1X aircon manual it says if normal R12 gas not on hand you can use LPG from a BBQ bottle..LOL And has the filling procedure for LPG gas. Which is good for cooling as it has a boiling point of -42.09 degrees C :blinks: So in an aircon system it makes them VERY VERY COLD.

But here is some reading for you in the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_pet...s#Refrigeration

So if you don't wanna go R134a (which still hurts the O-zone) just use LPG..LOL

But on a serious note. My local shop quoted me once for my a/c in the KE15. They said If I install components they will check the pump (they said shouldnt need new o-rings etc in pump for modern gas), the receiver dryer they said is a throw out item corrosion what not so a modern one will be fitted and new hoses made, fill and leak test about $400.

So ring around might be easier to fit mount dash unit and that and get the pros to finish it off for you.

Cheers

Cameron

lpg is a cheap alternative but it has a strange habit of going "boom" :blinks:

it's always a good idea to replace all the o-rings and use the proper sealing stuff

for r134a all you need that is different is the receiver dryer (and the gas of course)

+1 for the use of LPG - it is much much closer to what r12 is than r134a will be, and it also runs much lower pressures in the AC system which theoretically will make it last longer.....

as far as going boom - you don't smoke in your car do you? lpg is easily detectable by its smell anyway. you are more likely to get a leak from the condensor or compressor in the engine bay than anything in the car.

what happens if r134a leaks in your cabin and you smoke..... you inhale phosgene gas through the cigarette and die.

If it was my car I'd put hychill/lpg in it. If it was a new car with an r134a system I'd use r134a.

The trouble is its hard to find a place that will install hychill due to all the paranoia out there about it. Don't ever let ACA get a hold of something like this - I remember reading about how a fuel pump in the boot was a ticking petrol bomb in traffic or some such rubbish...

Robert.

Not only is it close to r12

But LPG from the wiki link I supplied under test if it was to all leak into the cabin of the car and ignite passengers suffered light burns. This was done with real people.

Now if the aircon was on windows are up. You would quickly smell LPG if it did leak a/c off windows down no issue get it fixed.

I'm not saying go LPG over r134a But it is an option. If you find an aicron place that will do it I would probably consider it my self but if you plan to later sell the car etc Id probably go r134a.

Cameron