Daihatsu Charade Detomaso

silverra23

So the Winton 6 Hour has been won and run... my preparation for the event was very minimal. I fitted a set of Project Mu HP-X front pads, thanks to Racer Industries, on the front... and at the last minute decided to fit some new rear pads, just Bendix Heavy Duty's as that is all I could get at the last moment. Braking was massively better with these pads, could really lean on them.

Drove the car, up fitted the semi-slicks up there, flogged around for two days, fitted the road tyres back on and drove home Sunday night. No dramas, no problems, no damage, and lots of fun had!

Best time of a 1.50.something on the Sunday which isn't bad for a little shopping trolley.

Here is a couple of videos from practice... sadly I some how lost the memory card that had the Sunday race footage on it :(

Practice 1 in the wet -

Practice 2 in the dry -

For next year's competition really need to get a fixed seat... get some camber into it with camber bolts.. and fit the koni's I have for it. But that can be after I have got the Celica on the road!

IMG_0871.JPG

oh.. and I just remembered, the weekend wasn't completely damage free... i nailed a galah on the freeway on the way home and the bugger put a big dent in the bonnet as his head went through his ass..... what a way to go!

• 3 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome ride, I was lucky enough to be in the passenger seat on Tates wedding day & it felt like a potent little rocket! Glad to see someone flying the flag for FWD hatches on a racetrack! :party:

Congrats on your results too, I'd love to see the faces of the people walking back to their much-more-dollars-spent cars thinking "I just got beaten by a what?!?!"

• 2 months later...

Good luck at Sandown on Sunday!! Gooo the Detomato! :rock:

I wont be able to make it as Mothers Day duties have me headed out west to the parentals.

Just curious, do you drive to the track with semi-slicks on or change wheels (from support vehicle) at the track?

What support vehicle?!

I drive to track on stock wheels and tyres most of the time. Sometimes go on semi,s but I am always worried what the police might think.

All my tools and other wheels are in the back and I just pull it all out...change wheels ..then in to scrutineering.

Hope the weather is kind.....

I dunno, thought you maybe had a kind, enthusiastic friend to haul bits/tools for you & provide a place to stash gear. :blush: I got lucky when I was last at Calder Park, a mate was there watching & let me stash my stuff in his VX Calais, leather inerior be buggered! (blankets are your friends :y:)

If your semi's have DOT approval marked on them, surely the police can't actually do anything? I mean, I'm sure they'd try but if they're DOT approved street legal... *shrugs* Then again if the cops don't even understand the Club Rego Scheme, who knows what may happen.

From what I'm hearing the weather is 17 degrees & cloudy...

Edited by carbonboy

I just take a tarp and put everything under that. I have learnt to be self sufficient :)

Agreed the tyres shouldn't be a problem.. but then if you combine them with a car registered in nsw in my dad's name.. on semi's.. with a race seat... and a harness not a seat belt... well... i just prefer to try and be as under the radar as possible.

Well when you put it like that....I don't blame you for trying to remain as inconspicious as possible! :wink:

I've built a weather-proof canopy for my 6" x 5" trailer which I'm hoping to be putting to use in the future to hold spare bits, wheels, tools etc. Planning on being able to keep it locked up, as I'm sure people at trackdays are nice people but I'm just concerned about things 'growing legs & walking off' when I'm not around (too much time in the westie 'burbs methinks). The downside is, I'm either going to have to get a car to tow it, or just hook up/remove at track the towbar I have for my AE82 & use that to tow it :)

hehe as it turns out I decided to drive to and from the track yesterday on the semi's as I couldn't be assed changing them at the track!

Anyways as a spur of the moment decision on Friday, I decided to run in a Sprint at Sandown on Sunday. Weather wasn't particularly nice, only got one truly dry session in before the rained spoiled proceedings, but it was still lots of fun.

New seat made a massive difference to my enjoyment of the driving.. and I was loving the ability I had to stand on the brakes much much later than most of the other competitors (where my courage allowed!).

I also realised that my love for the car is dependent on what wheels its got on. The stockies for road driving don't flatter her at all..bolt on the semi's that are a bit bigger... suddenly she looks a million bucks!

Car prep for the Charade is awesome for a track day.. wash it.. vacuum it... give the levels and belts a quick check... bolt on the semi slicks and off you go! Hammer it all day and then drive home. Love it.

Anyways a few photos

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

New seat

225937_10150288610579815_701639814_9567187_7051189_n.jpg

224349_10150288610604815_701639814_9567188_6871138_n.jpg

And a little video (complete with all the annoyances you have come to know and love) of my first dry session. Includes a bit of a spin at around the 2min 20 mark!

http://youtu.be/qN4doCEb0D4

I did a best time of 1.42.15, which was about a second slower than Pete in the yellow swift - doh! He was braver than me...that is my story and i am sticking to it... Joey did a 1.37 in the Celica which is pretty good going on his old Formula Ford tyres!

• 1 month later...

DeTomato had a good run at Rob Roy today..

Prep involved putting a "new" steering wheel on - I got a better condition DeTomaso one out of Malaysia for cheap on ebay so I put that on. Its nice having leather all the way around the wheel again.

Other than that I washed it and pumped up the tyres a little. I love club racing :)

After a couple of slow runs up the hill, I managed to do my fastest time of the day on my third run, as well as my fastest ever up the hill, so I am very happy.

I think I ended up 4th in the class 1300cc-1600cc... pipped to 3rd by 0.010 by a dude in mini moke.. dammit!

4th run it was raining, so slippery and fun, but slow.

Next event is the Phillip Island 6 hour in a month. Stay tuned!