Manifold Exaust Air Leak

ke71-rolla

Howdy guys, just wondering how to diagnose an exaust manifold air leak. I now own a mkII supra with a 5m.

While driving along and putting the car under load at low rpm; say sitting at 1700 in 4th and putting the throttle flat or when the car just turns on. I can hear a prominent almost popping noise, seeming to come from the side of the engine which has the extractors (4-1).

Is this a noise which i shouldnt worry about? Would i be able to get soapy water and lather up the extractors with it and figure it out?

Thanks for any help ^_^

Members dont see this ad

exhaust leaks tend to be worst when you have your foot down, and when you jump off the throttle will be almost silent.

best bet is to just turn engine on, and stick your hand around where you think the hole might be, and look for black soot coming out of the hole.

I know what your problem is!!!! The extractors being 4-1!!!! There's 2x more exhaust ports with nothing over them! :laff:

On a more serious note. Its probably not a bad idea to just replace the gasket rather than trying to find where its leaking. The gasket will only cost you like $20, plus an hour or 2's work and you're sorted. ;)

If its easy to disconnect the back end of the extractors you might want to remove them from the engine bay and get the head mounting face machined flat again. If they're old sometimes the flange can warp a little over time.

Then you'll be all minty fresh again. :laff: