Wiring Up A Tacho

treble

Hey Guys,

Ive been wiring up a tacho in the KE55, got it all hooked up how i thought it went. It turns on and lights up properly. but I'm not getting any movement in the needle. so i guess i must have wired it to the wrong spot on the dizzy. can anyone tell me exactly where i have to attach the wire on a KE55, better yet, could someone with a tacho please take a photo of where they wired it to?

Thanks.

Matt

PS- i did do a search and i did google it already... no luck

Edited by treble

Members dont see this ad

You just hook up your power, earth, lights, and then hook up the "green" wire to the positive side of the dizzy...

It should actually have a + sign on the side you are meant to hook it up.

If the needle starts to jump around like a phsyco child on mushrooms, then you need this special little gadget to go in between the green wire.

(mine had this problem)

:D

You just hook up your power, earth, lights, and then hook up the "green" wire to the positive side of the dizzy...

Its actually the negative side of the coil.

If its got an electronic ignition or early Bosch distributor and your getting needle flicker/bounce and false readings, you may have to purchase a 20K Linear Potentiometer (Dick Smith Part No. R6807 and stamped B20K. $2.50). Then fit it inline in the Green signal wire.

Use a tune up/diagnostics machine to get a master RPM reading, and then adjust the Potentiometer until your tacho gives a true reading.

(this is what speco reccommends anyway)