3tc Carb And Emissions

lehparmac

Hey Guys,

I have a Te72 T18 completely stock, i was just wondering is it possible to rip all the emissions stuff off to clean up the engine bay and is it worth cleaning up the Carb?

I live in QLD and not sure about all the emissions laws ect... I don't know much about the 3tc's and am on my p's so can't do to much with it.

In lamens terms, I want to make the engine bay nice and clean and maybe get a bit more performance out of her.

Maybe a guide on how to tune the Carb would also be appreciated and also (N00b question) what is draw through to the Carb? (not sure if that is what its called)

Cheers

Tazz

Members dont see this ad
Hey Guys,

I have a Te72 T18 completely stock, i was just wondering is it possible to rip all the emissions stuff off to clean up the engine bay and is it worth cleaning up the Carb?

I live in QLD and not sure about all the emissions laws ect... I don't know much about the 3tc's and am on my p's so can't do to much with it.

In lamens terms, I want to make the engine bay nice and clean and maybe get a bit more performance out of her.

Maybe a guide on how to tune the Carb would also be appreciated and also (N00b question) what is draw through to the Carb? (not sure if that is what its called)

Cheers

Tazz

You can get rid of the air pump, and block off some of the emissions lines, there is pleantly of performance parts for 3tc's in the states (3tc performance brd racing)

Carb tuning: The way I did mine was I replaced all the plugs, leads, reset dizzy points, reset timing first, then I played with the carb. The way I did was turn in the idle mixture screw till it runs rough then very slowly turn it out till it sounds smooth, then turn it out another 1/4-1/2 a turn. Thats how I did mine and now I'm getting about 10L/100kms, which I think is pretty good.

If you live local I could give you a hand, where in QLD are you?

Also got a picture of your car?

You can get rid of the air pump, and block off some of the emissions lines, there is pleantly of performance parts for 3tc's in the states (3tc performance brd racing)

Carb tuning: The way I did mine was I replaced all the plugs, leads, reset dizzy points, reset timing first, then I played with the carb. The way I did was turn in the idle mixture screw till it runs rough then very slowly turn it out till it sounds smooth, then turn it out another 1/4-1/2 a turn. Thats how I did mine and now I'm getting about 10L/100kms, which I think is pretty good.

If you live local I could give you a hand, where in QLD are you?

Also got a picture of your car?

I live in Ipswich (unfortunatly) lol ill put some pictures up tomorow, its not very pretty yet though. isnt there some sort of ecu for the emissions? also what air pump and which lines? 3tc's arnt my strong point, I'm used to the ol' 4k motor. How do u reset dizzy points and timing?

sorry if I sound a bit dumb but ive never played with carbies and dizzy's.

thanks heaps for your help

Tazz

I live in Ipswich (unfortunatly) lol ill put some pictures up tomorow, its not very pretty yet though. isnt there some sort of ecu for the emissions? also what air pump and which lines? 3tc's arnt my strong point, I'm used to the ol' 4k motor. How do u reset dizzy points and timing?

sorry if I sound a bit dumb but ive never played with carbies and dizzy's.

thanks heaps for your help

Tazz

I'm pretty sure there is no ecu for the emissions? well at least my T18 doesn't, the air pump is operated like the alternator or A/c pump if you don't have A/C it will be the only other pump type thing, I got rid of mine cause it was making my engine run rich (but did awesome key bangers, not anymore though) the points are easy to adjust how to adjust points This pretty much explains how to adjust dizzy points, ill get the piece of paper out of my toolbox tomorrow that says what gap to put them at. Timing is again easy with the use of a timing light.

I'm pretty sure there is no ecu for the emissions? well at least my T18 doesn't, the air pump is operated like the alternator or A/c pump if you don't have A/C it will be the only other pump type thing, I got rid of mine cause it was making my engine run rich (but did awesome key bangers, not anymore though) the points are easy to adjust how to adjust points This pretty much explains how to adjust dizzy points, ill get the piece of paper out of my toolbox tomorrow that says what gap to put them at. Timing is again easy with the use of a timing light.

sweet thanks. the reason i think there is one is because there are sensor type things with wires hooked up to them lol i will take photos tomorow to explain what I mean. Is there a way of doing the timing without a timing light? Do you have a website that has some good information on it that i can use cause i can't find anything :D

the thing in the 2nd picture, attached to your block, is your oil pressure sender. (either a guage or light in your dash, prolly just a light)

the other thing, I'm not sure, i had one on my old 4k, and unplugged it...and nothing changed.....its connected to the carby yeah?

Edited by ke70dave

mines plumbed under the battery so i could pass the roady LOL! i havent noticed a difference

can i just rip it out after i get the roady? or is it pointless removing it? also there is a red wire and black wire going to the carby, what are they for? i know i must soud like a dick right now but i honestly know f@$k all about carbys, just the basics of how they work.

can i just rip it out after i get the roady? or is it pointless removing it? also there is a red wire and black wire going to the carby, what are they for? i know i must soud like a dick right now but i honestly know f@$k all about carbys, just the basics of how they work.

haha don't worry about sounding silly, at least you are speaking in proper english so we can actually understand your questions!

the wire in your carby will prolly be the fuel solenoid, my understanding is that its an electric valve that stops fuel flow when car is turned off (controlled by ingnition). only some carbys have it, not all.

to be honest your engine bay is pretty good atm, i suggest giving it a huge clean (Degreaser, or steam cleaner) and then go from there. there is no real reason to start pulling stuff off for the sake of pulling stuff off. it could potentially create more dramas if you ever have to put it all back on again.

one thing you could do though, get your RWC as it is. then get a webber carburetta and a pair of extractors, then you can throw ALL those pipes and crap in the bin, as the webber needs hardly any pipes etc at all. and with the extractors any sort of exhuast gas circulation can be binned as well. edit: just noticed you have extractors alreay, so your half way there, just get a cheap webber and your set.

will make for a nice simple engine bay. and with the extractors/carby it will have a few extra horsepowers as well.

Edited by ke70dave

haha don't worry about sounding silly, at least you are speaking in proper english so we can actually understand your questions!

the wire in your carby will prolly be the fuel solenoid, my understanding is that its an electric valve that stops fuel flow when car is turned off (controlled by ingnition). only some carbys have it, not all.

to be honest your engine bay is pretty good atm, i suggest giving it a huge clean (Degreaser, or steam cleaner) and then go from there. there is no real reason to start pulling stuff off for the sake of pulling stuff off. it could potentially create more dramas if you ever have to put it all back on again.

one thing you could do though, get your RWC as it is. then get a webber carburetta and a pair of extractors, then you can throw ALL those pipes and crap in the bin, as the webber needs hardly any pipes etc at all. and with the extractors any sort of exhuast gas circulation can be binned as well. edit: just noticed you have extractors alreay, so your half way there, just get a cheap webber and your set.

will make for a nice simple engine bay. and with the extractors/carby it will have a few extra horsepowers as well.

Thank you so much for your help that explains alot :D yeh i didnt think it was worth pulling them off, i just like the look of really tidy engine bays. what type of weber would be the best, side draft or just standard?

thanks again for your help.

Tazz

maybe something like this?

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=42930

i dunno ive never played with webbers, or 3tc's, but thats what i would be looking at. keep it looking pretty standard as well. you just might have to get it rejetted for the 3tc, i dunno.

edit:

here is an even cheaper one, though may need a rebuild apparnetly.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=42669

Edited by ke70dave