August 31, 201016 yr comment_464595 Hi all, I am new to the world of FWD, having had KE70s for years. I have noticed that sometimes the temp gauge in my AE82 slowly creeps up to about 5/8. Seems normal, but I want to check before summer gets here. How do I test that the thermo fan is working ok? Is there something I can short out, or measure to see if it is kicking in? I know the other fan is for the A/C, but am learning on this beasty. Cheers Paul Report
September 1, 201016 yr comment_464640 Hi all, I am new to the world of FWD, having had KE70s for years. I have noticed that sometimes the temp gauge in my AE82 slowly creeps up to about 5/8. Seems normal, but I want to check before summer gets here. How do I test that the thermo fan is working ok? Is there something I can short out, or measure to see if it is kicking in? I know the other fan is for the A/C, but am learning on this beasty. Cheers Paul Unplug the thermo sensor that is located on the thermostat housing and the fan will (should) come on. Report
September 1, 201016 yr comment_464820 also start the car up cold, and just let it idle. it will go through its cooling system sequence. ie. engine start to heat up, guage goes up engine heats up to operating temp, guage goes to opperating temp. engine gets hotter, thermostat opens, guage drops slightly. engine gets hotter, guage goes up further thermo fan turns on guage goes down back to operating temperature and the thermostat and cooling fan should regulate it to around the same temp. bit of fluctuation as the fan turns on/off thermostat opens/closed. and if the thermo fan doesnt turn on, do what trev sais, if the thermo fan temp sender is stuffed, the fan will be turned on all the time, smart failsafe. Report
September 3, 201016 yr Author comment_465477 Thanks guys, tried Trevs trick and hey work. Will see how she goes in summer. And yes it is good to see a smart failsafe for once. Report
September 7, 201016 yr comment_466543 quick question would the cold start not work to well if the temp gauge sender isn't working, ive noticed that my temp gauge doesn't work and cold start will sit at about 2k Report
September 7, 201016 yr comment_466612 quick question would the cold start not work to well if the temp gauge sender isn't working, ive noticed that my temp gauge doesn't work and cold start will sit at about 2k No, temp gauge sender is for the temp gauge only, the ecu gets it's readings from the sensors on the back of the head and a 2000rpm cold start is perfectly normal. Report
September 8, 201016 yr comment_466841 ohh cool thought it read the same reading off the temp gauge sender Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now