4age Heads

Tazrolla

who was the pot smoking japman who decide to put 16point bolts on a 4age head... and then make it even harder to get out by puting them in such a narrow gap... :jamie:

now i gotta go out and buy another 12mil thin walled socket just so i can get this bloody head off

;)

anyway enough QQ'in

any1 know the 3 stages of tightning up the head all i can find is this and it dosnt seem that good to me

post-11787-1284101325.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Hehe

My guess is that the 16 point bolts were done so that mechanics would stop rounding the heads off.

You'll need a deep socket for the job - unless you've already figured it out.

I thought the same thing when i came across the head tightening sequence

30Nm, 90deg, 90deg.

Pain in the arse idea

Came across a "three stage" in one of the books i have - i think. When i can i'll have a hunt for it

just didnt some more research on it last nite while rc was down

i need to go out and get myself a 10m 3/8 longreach socket :jamie:

any1 got 1 ta spare they wanna post me ;)

oh and thinking bout it i think there 12 point not 16 like i said b4.. but either way the normal 6(hex)sockets are usless on it

Should have realized that one myself 12point not 16 i don't know why i put 16.

I have one but i still use it from time to time

Three passes up to 55-64Nm in the Max Ellery book

Whereas in the Sept 1989 4a-fe,4a-ge toyota blue book its - 29Nm, 90deg, 90deg with the dot facing to the rear.

Whereas again Aug 1983 2a, 3a, 3a-c, 4a-c, 4a-ge toyota blue book its three stages up to 55-64Nm

hmmm so 30nm-55nm-64nm or should i just stick with the old 30nm +90° +90°

going to be using the old head bolts this time round so only got 1 chance of getting it right( last thing i wanna do is snap the end of the bolt off in the block :jamie:

plan is just to do a temp fix for now as the old cash flow is a bit on the light side and in 6 12 months rip out the engine again and do a full rebuild once the cash flow is a bit better ;)

The head bolts are a "torque to yield" or what ever its called. Basically when you do the first run at the 30Nm you torque them down then when the rest of the runs are done at 90deg the bolts are getting stretched. Hence the dot is facing the back of the motor. Their meant to be a single shot item.