Hsd Coilover Sleeve Kits

Sadi

Has anyone used these on the xt130 struts before? I want to upgrade my suspension and brakes in my Ke36 wagon and after reading all the threads on here am pretty confident in what I'm going to do. Just want to clear a few last things up before I start.

1. Would it be better to get some 2nd had struts from the wreckers, or to get new ones from pedders. I'd prefer new ones, basically because they are new, and I'm too busy to be driving round to all the wreckers searching for 2nd hand ones. Had a look on their webiste and you can look up the part number from there. Just wanna make sure that its the front shocks that I want.

(Front Shocks: 8728 8728 Comfort Gas Cartridge, 9728 GSR9728 GSR Cartridge)

2. Instead of welding on the lower spring seat onto the xt130 strut, I can use these HSD coilover sleeves right? Anyone used these before? Any thoughts on this setup over using the Ke36 lower spring seat?

3. Thinking of using these camber tops instead of the Ke36 tops, so that I can adjust the camber. Any thought?

Here's the link to the HSD coilover sleeve kit and camber kit.

http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/sleevekits.htm

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

1. when pedders list the strut, I'm almost certain that is not the actual strut body, stub axle, etc. it is only the cartridge insert. you need to either hunt the forums or search at wreckers to buy the complete struts.

2. the hsd sleeve kit needs to be welded onto your xt130 struts. you will need to grind off the old spring perch and cut some of the length off, then have the sleeve kit welded on. search youtube for more info as i remember seeing a tutorial video on there. (guy in usa working on ae86 struts) This will explain it to you better. xt130,ae86,ra60 etc struts are 51mm, so get that sleeve kit. pretty certain 36's are smaller, like the ke70s. (46mm maybe?)

Coilover springs will be heaps better than using your ke36 or xt spring perch. if your lowering your car you will be able to have captive springs. (i.e "more" legal) You will also have a good selection of spring rates and you can adjust your ride height to basically whatever you feel!

3.those camber tops will let you adjust your camber definitely. you will have to drill the strut top pcd in them and press in the studs to suit.by looking at them you most likely will have to cut the top plate to size so it fits your 36. (they looks pretty huge)

The camber tops are an extra 299 on top of the 299 for the sleeve kit to btw.

I'm looking to order a sleeve kit this week from grant. heard only good things about them :)

• Upvote 1

i think i know what your on about, ive tried to answer your 3 points below:

1: i highly doubt you will be able to buy the STRUTS brand new from pedders as they are an OEM part. but definately buy new SHOCKS from pedders, don't waste your time with 2nd hand shocks.

2: i have only heard good things about the HSD kit, cheap too considering you get springs. plenty of people have used this kit with the xt130 struts. just need to confirm the diameter of the strut when you buy the kit. advantages over the ke36 spring seat is that the strut will be able to move inside your tower and combined with the camber plates you will actually have some adjustment available. other than that no real advantage other than the ability to get your heigh spot on. are you going to run short stroke shocks? unsure on those part numbers but you want to make sure your shocks are short enough to keep the coilover springs (ie short) captive. if you do use short stroke shocks you will prolly need to cut down the strut to suit, but you prolly already know this.

3: those camber plates look quite good, though i would highly recomend getting a machine shop to drill the holes in the top. you want to get that spot on. just take a standard strut top to a machinist (so he can get the bolt holes in the same spot) and say "drill these 2 camber plates like this". unless of course you have a drop drill and the proper sized drill. unsure how you determine the proper sized drill for that nurl on the studds (it will be an interference fit of some sort, which there are standards for), but it needs to be a very tight fit.

edit: looks like e70van beat me to it!!! haha that will learn me for taking to long to post.

Edited by ke70dave
  • Upvote 1

ke70dave: Haha don't worry dave, it took me ages to write my reply too! We basically wrote the same things for q1 and 2 :)

I'm just researching this stuff myself atm, so when i saw this thread i had to reply.

best (cheapest)to go to a self serve wrecker to find your struts. you will need the hubs, brakes etc too because your 36' stuff wont fit on the xt struts.

Why do you want XT130 struts?

Depending what you're using the car for, what brakes you'd like, and how you want the steering, it might be easier to use AE86 struts.

Because XT130's have a different offset steering arm, which can cause clearnance issues if you use 86 spec short steering arms.

Cheers all for the info. Cleared up alot and will be making this conversion alot easier.

1. when pedders list the strut, I'm almost certain that is not the actual strut body, stub axle, etc. it is only the cartridge insert. you need to either hunt the forums or search at wreckers to buy the complete struts.

1: i highly doubt you will be able to buy the STRUTS brand new from pedders as they are an OEM part. but definately buy new SHOCKS from pedders, don't waste your time with 2nd hand shocks.

I had a feeling that it was just the strut insert which they had listed. Looks like I'll have to go and do some actual leg work.

xt130,ae86,ra60 etc struts are 51mm, so get that sleeve kit. pretty certain 36's are smaller, like the ke70s. (46mm maybe?)

Coilover springs will be heaps better than using your ke36 or xt spring perch. if your lowering your car you will be able to have captive springs. (i.e "more" legal) You will also have a good selection of spring rates and you can adjust your ride height to basically whatever you feel!

If I'm replacing xt130 struts with mine I'm assuming I would be getting the sleeve kit that fits those struts. Having more control over adjusting the height is one of the main reasons of getting the sleeve kit. I'm not a big fan of cutting springs.

Why do you want XT130 struts?

Depending what you're using the car for, what brakes you'd like, and how you want the steering, it might be easier to use AE86 struts.

Because XT130's have a different offset steering arm, which can cause clearnance issues if you use 86 spec short steering arms.

Looking at getting XT130 struts because of alot of good feedback from what I have read about this conversion, and alot of good resources available about this conversion.

I'm looking at upgrading the suspension and brakes for a future engine conversion. Will be using the car mainly as a weekend warrior, and the odd track day.

i just finished putting the sleeve kit and camber tops onto my ke26 struts, pretty much done whats said above...origional spring seat cut off, and the new coilover threaded sleeve welded on..... just gotta trim the studs down now

Sikke20 your setup is pretty much exactly what I'm looking at doing. Which brake setup did you use on your's?

Sikke20 used the Hopper Stoppers Kit. They are an expensive kit but worth it I think. One thing if you do go with the adjustable camber tops you will have to get them machined down to the strut tower diameter as the HSD kits are a universal and come way to big, but 10mins on a lathe and they fit.