Engine Warning Light

mutley

hi Folks, i have an 1990 sx seca liftback manual, i have done a search on the site but cannot find a comparible problem so the problem i have is this the engine warning light comes on when the thermostat kicks in,car appears to run ok, i do not drive it far!!! i have checked radiator level-good, checked engine oil-good, any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

cheers mark

Members dont see this ad

Check Engine Light coming on should indicate there is a fault-code in the ECU. Bridge the TE1 and E1 terminals in the diagnostics connecter and check what code the ECU throws to the CEL (it'll be a series of flashes representing a 2-digit number).

HI thank you, however, i don't know what or where the diagnostics connecter is and the

TE1 and E1 terminals. is there a workshop manual or the like i can get hold of to do it myself? i get the idea of what to do, just not knowing where to do it.LOL

Cheers mark

In the passenger rear side of the engine bay there will be a little box that has 'DIAGNOSIS' on top, the pins will be printed on the underside of the lid, join TE1 & E1 and then switch the ignition to on and count the flashes of the engine light.

No fault will be flash....flash....flash.

To read say 13, it will be, flash.....flash...flash...flash

12 Engine RPM Signal.

13 Engine RPM Signal.

14 Ignition Signal.

16 ECT Control Signal.

21 Oxygen Sensor (OS) Signal.

22 Water Temperature Sensor (THW) Signal.

24 Intake Air Temperature Sensor (THA) Signal.

25 Air/Fuel ratio lean.

26 Air/Fuel ratio rich.

27 Sub-oxygen sensor signal.

31 Air Flow Meter Signal.

32 Air Flow Meter Signal.

41 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

42 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Signal.

43 Starter Circuit Signal.

51 Switch Condition Signal.

52 Knock Control Signal.

In the passenger rear side of the engine bay there will be a little box that has 'DIAGNOSIS' on top, the pins will be printed on the underside of the lid, join TE1 & E1 and then switch the ignition to on and count the flashes of the engine light.

HI Trev, thank you, i will try this before i consider the other advice that is-- (drive it till it blows up) LOL :laff:

Cheers mark

hi trev, your information was spot on, easy as, The number of flashes amounted to 16= ECT Control Signal, i sound a bit needy but where do i go from here???

Muchly appreciated Cheers mark :) :)

ECT = Transmission ECU for an electronic auto, didn't think the 4AGE computer could throw that code - all the lists I can find for the smallport skip it, shows up on Supras etc though which run separate ECUs for the transmission (called an ECT - Electronically Controlled Transmission).

Then again, auto 4AGEs are fairly rare, maybe this one has had an auto ECU swapped in at some stage, but I still didn't think they had standalone transmission ECUs.

ECT = Transmission ECU for an electronic auto, didn't think the 4AGE computer could throw that code - all the lists I can find for the smallport skip it, shows up on Supras etc though which run separate ECUs for the transmission (called an ECT - Electronically Controlled Transmission).

Then again, auto 4AGEs are fairly rare, maybe this one has had an auto ECU swapped in at some stage, but I still didn't think they had standalone transmission ECUs.

My thoughts exactly, and I don't think the SX came in an auto.

This is why I hate the later 2 digit diagnostic codes as there is no 'proper' list.