Door Lock Cylinder

Kid-Ae

Soo.. When I purchased the car (AE92), only the drivers door opened with the key..

The key goes in and turns inside the passenger lock, but doesn't do anything..

If i rip it off, could it be something simple to play with at home or not worth fixing?

Suggestions? I'm not good with this kind of thing and decided i'd ask here, seeing as you guys have probably pulled these cars apart a lot more than I have.

Cheers :)

Members dont see this ad

Hello, your lock may be ok,it may be the rod that goes from key lock to door lock mechanism.You will need to remove door trim to check if its connected.If it is connected,then its your key lock.While the door trim is removed you can unbolt the outer door handle and remove key lock and either change it for a new or second hand one or I have been told that a locksmith can fix/adjust the tumblers in key lock(then you can use the original key).

Probably easier to change them with a new or second hand set.Seen some on ebay(new,I think)and they were quite cheap.They come with 2 door locks and an ignition lock(all the same key).Or get central locking fitted with remote button,and never worry about using a key.

Think on the good side -- if you can't get in with a key,neither can a car thief!!

In conclusion: I wouldn't worry about fixing it -- unless you are a gallant gentleman who frequently opens the car door for the lovely maidens !!! (lol).

I've got same sort of issue, but i put the key in lock on drivers side and it unlocks all doors except the passenger side, the misses isn't very happy as I have to lean across. If I unlock the door from passenger side with the key it unlocks though.

Whats happening? Dried out?

It sounds like your problem is central locking motor/actuator(or wiring).If you unlock the passenger side with key,does it open all doors? if you need a central locking mechanism and/or motor,give me a call 0413 960 696 I should have one somewhere...Thank you.

Everything is connected.. Its inside the barrel that is frigged.

If the key goes in and turns then it is not the cylinder. My money is on the little circlip on the back of the lock. It has either stretched or come off. Just make sure you inspect all the rods and even the little plastic bushings the rods sit in. They can slip out extremely easy if they are around the wrong way.

I'll end my post by saying i play with locks for a living (Locksmith).

The mechanism rod has most likely fallen off or the clip on the back of the lock is not connected, pull the trim off and have a look.

So the clip on the back is not connected to the barrel?

If the key goes in and turns then it is not the cylinder. My money is on the little circlip on the back of the lock. It has either stretched or come off. Just make sure you inspect all the rods and even the little plastic bushings the rods sit in. They can slip out extremely easy if they are around the wrong way.

I'll end my post by saying i play with locks for a living (Locksmith).

This.