Old Corollas And Lost Race Tracks.

Tudor30

Hi all, I've just bought a KE30 that I hope to use for club motorsport. I have to admit to being a bit... cough... old.

I joined the Toyota Car Club of NSW in 1979. Ran in motorkhana, khanacross, rally and speed events until about 1992.

We used to have an interclub challenge against the Toyota Owners Club of Victoria, which was great fun. Wagga Wagga, Canberra and Albury as i recall.

I have been in motorsport retirement for a long time!

I found some old pics from the pre-digital age and realised that the venues don't exist any more..... Damn sad! Sorry about the crap pics, but that was the standard of the day...

First pic is at the RAS Showground in Sydney. The Sydney International Motorshow included a Motorkhana run by the North Shore Sporting Car Club, on the old Speedway Track! GORN! Fox Studio now.

Second pic is approaching the hairpin at Silverdale Hillclimb. don't you love the seventies goodness of 12" Contessa mags? Silverdale, GORN!

Third pic is exiting the hairpin at Amaroo Park Dirt Circuit. GREAT TRACK! GORN! Now echo's to the sound of children crying, in McMansions.

Fourth Pic in the "Tunnel of Love" at Catalina Park, Katoomba. GORN!

Don't have the pics, but also raced Corollas at Hume Weir and Amaroo Main. GORN!

Oran Park North, South and figure Eight. GORN!

Leppington Motorkhana and Khanacross venue. GORN! To housing.

Hope to compete again while there are some tracks left! Bloody shame that all these old venues have gone.

Regards to all

post-12034-006302100 1286101024_thumb.jpg

post-12034-090557300 1286101060_thumb.jpg

post-12034-047016400 1286101085_thumb.jpg

post-12034-095364800 1286101104_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tudor30

Members dont see this ad

I've pics somewhere of my 25 at Morwell hillclimb in Gippsland. Now part of an open cut. :(

Drove Oran Park just before it closed in a Mazda. God that's a tragedy. Closure, not the Mazda.

I did a motorkhana at a track that's never been built, does that count?

Edited by Redwarf

Back at that time I was rallying in South Africa, and a popular option were closed-odo rallies for road cars. Thee were run on open roads, so speeds were set below the speed limit, and you were penalised for being early or late at controls.

Of course out in the countryside there was very little traffic, especially at night, and twisty roads that made you work hard to average the set speed.

Great fun, & I've often wondered if it could get off the ground here. We just notified the Police and the Councils we were having it, we didn't have to ask for permission.

• 4 months later...

G'day TUDOR ,i'am guessing from your post that you to are a ''senior citizen (old fart). I to have fond memories of Oran park,Ameroo,Warwick Farm, Catalina,etc. I do have some old photo,s (b&w) ,let me know if your interested and i,ll post em. Regards anteKE THE OLDER I GET ,THE FASTER I WAS!