New Guy

PLZ818

Hey guys I'm new to toyotas and this forum as well I'm not sure if i posted this in the right thread (if not can a mod move it please ). Well the reason I'm here is that I'm in the market of building ae86 with the intent to use it as my streeter and track car for my misses and i. iv been doing a little bit of research on them and come up with an idea of what i want to achieve in the end a full ground rebuild with a n/a carbie 4age but I'm a little confused with engines silver top or black top I'm not sure (thats where you guys step in ) coilovers and street trim thats about as far as iv gone with idea so input bad or good i would love to hear some! cheers!

XD

Members dont see this ad

Gday, and welcome to the club. ST and BT 20V motors are really better off as efi motors, quad throttle efi out of the box, converting to carby seems like a step backwards - there's nothing off the shelf to do this I've ever seen. Worth the $1000 for an ecu to run the motor to its potential. If you want carbs I'd suggest a 16V is the way to go, off the shelf DCOE manifolds can be had for a reasonable price, plus if you can translate the TRD 4AGE bible you'll pull the perfect jet and choke info to suit your needs straight out of the book - saving you alot of money in tuning.

What engine do you have in there at the moment? I'm assuming probably a 4AC. Stock the 86s are a relatively capable and fun car, but if you want to take it on the track you are probably looking at something a little more powerful than the 4AC. For a bit of info on the engines, wikipedia isn't a bad place to start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine for a bit of info on the different A engines available. Like any car the sky is really the limit with engine choices (depending on your budget, what you want out of it, how much you can do yourself and how easy you want it to be to register/make legal). You can go anywhere from a 16v 4AG to a 20v 4AGE to a 1J, CA, SR or something crazy (like a v8). I'm in a similar boat (wanted a street car that I could drive every day, but still take to the track) so I was tossing up between a 4AGZE and a 20v 4AGE and ended up going with the 20v Silvertop (as it would give me reasonable power without any hassles of forced induction, but had room for some aftermarket mods etc if I got the power bug).

At the moment I have the Silvertop, FTO seats, Pedders "sports" shocks and it's lowered a little and it's plenty fun to drive. If you are new to modifying cars I'll warn you that they end up sucking a lot out of your wallet (and even if you've done it before watch out as most people with 86s get the bug and sink a lot of money into their cars).

You mentioned that you had an idea about what you were after, what did you have in mind (anything apart from a rebuilt carby engine and coilovers)? Do you already have the car or are you looking at purchasing it (there was a recent thread on here talking about purchasing 86s that might be worth a quick glance http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=46042).

Welcome to Rollaclub!

Cheers mate well what i really should be asking is weather i should go carbi vs efi i want something that will take a bashing but be reliable if you know where I'm coming from. cheers!

XD

As for the carbie vs EFI debate, that's almost a religious argument.

The 20v engines are known for being high revving engines, but in my opinion (which isn't really worth a lot though...) almost any toyota engine can take a lot of punishment.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent go one yet ill be looking next year just gearing up for it now. I'm not so new to modding car iv got a 1987 nissan exa that iv been working on the past year (its almost on the road again!!!) but i know my way round a car. but what I'm after is something thats got enough balls to keep up with the lower powered turbo'd cars (only reason why is because I'm on my p's and turbo is a no go for me other wise id shove a 13b tt in there asap!)

• 3 weeks later...

Back with a little more info under my arm well iv decided to sick with what ever is in the car so a carbie set up will be the go anyone think i should/shouldnt do this? the basic aim I'm after is a street car that i can take to the track have some fun and go home.

go 16v 4age then if your sticking with carbs, be prepared to pay alot for the carbs if you can't rebuild them yourself same with tuning both can be very expensive. If you buy brand new/ fully reconditioned webers + your manifold probably wont have much (if any change from $1000)

Back with a little more info under my arm well iv decided to sick with what ever is in the car so a carbie set up will be the go anyone think i should/shouldnt do this? the basic aim I'm after is a street car that i can take to the track have some fun and go home.

I didn't have the stock 4AC in mine for long, but while it was in there the car was fine to drive. It wasn't the most powerful engine ever, but mine had done over 550,000kms, so I think with a bit of work it would've been a lot better. Speaking to some other 86 owners I've heard that the stock engines are quite alright for the street and just a little fun on the track here and there. A 4AC (and probably the 4AGE?) probably won't be that great at keeping up with "lower powered turbo cars" as you mentioned in your last post. You need to remember that the 86s are best for their agility/control as opposed to overall speed. If you are trying to drag a fulli hectic turbo VN you've got no hope with a 4AC, but if you can still have fun driving it.

Sticking with the stock engine will also mean a lot less hassles when it comes to keeping it registered/roadworthy. Saving money on the engine change will also mean you'll have more to spend on whatever else you want do/to put in the car. This all depends on what direction you want to take the car; this could be suspension, seats, stereo, after-market ECU (if you get the 4AGE), bodykit, chromies or tofu delivery sticker.

• 2 weeks later...

just popping in again iv been poking around and for the carbie vs efi ill go efi 4age silvertop does anyone know if that will be a hassle with rego and such cause all I'm doing is replacing the 16v with a 20v. and in saying that would fitting the 4agze supercharger to a silver top be difficult? (if I'm wrong please tell me I'm new to toyotas!!!) now I'm also thinking about gearboxes will survive my thrashing of drifting and killing hondas. diffs iv heard hilux's are almost if not as strong as the famous 9 inch. reason why I'm asking all this now before iv even got the car is so i can get parts now. cheers!!!

XD

Gearbox wise I think most people stick with the T50 until it breaks. From what I hear I think they are relatively good (though I can't say that for certain). Not sure what people usually replace them with (maybe the W50? Which I think is out of a supra?).

If you want to turbo or supercharge a Silvertop theres a little bit you need to do first (change compression etc). I think this is usually done by replacing some of the parts with those from the blacktop and the ZE engine. I'm pretty sure SamQ has an article on his website http://s-86.com/ .

I've heard mention of using hilux diffs and skyline diffs (I know maxhag from AE86DC has a skyline diff in his at the moment). I think that they are similar to the gearboxes, with it really depending on how much power you are going to put through it etc.

Legality-wise it all depends on the state you are in. I'm guessing you would need to get it engineered (especially if you are going to turbo/supercharge it). I have heard of people getting away with it just being a "different 4a engine", but I'm not sure how true those stories are and how easy it is too fool them.

One thing about putting the silvertops in (which I think I mentioned before) is that it doesn't fit (as the dizzy is on the back of the engine when put in a RWD and meets the firewall). To make it fit you can either cut the firewall (which is bad, looks a bit shoddy and will make it way harder to register and easier to defect) or you can relocate the dizzy/use a coilpack etc (which is trickier and more expensive). I think there is also an article about this on SamQs site.

I know this doesn't answer a lot, haha

Surf around http://s-86.com/ and http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/ and you might be able to get some better answers than I can give. Take a look at peoples ride/project threads and see what they've done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate,

After reading the thread it seems your still on your P's so unfortunately for you in Queensland that means no engine conversions whatsoever as they require a mod plate with a LA code. sorry to burst your bubble mate but you will have to stick with the 4ac unless you could convince the department of transport that the 4age (albeit a 16v was available) was originally available in that chassis and as such would not require a mod plate as said earlier it would come under a replacement engine, personally i wouldn't like your chances of getting away with a 20v but it wouldn't be impossible.

Either way, good luck with it :) don't get discouraged, you have 3-4 years to build a great engine :)