Ke70 4K Issues

rian

Hey everyone, today I installed a central locking system in my KE70. It worked fine and everything, but later on I tried to start the car and it wouldn't go. The 4K starts but dies very quickly after the starter motor stops turning it over, it won't rev or anything. I suspect I've blown a fuse somewhere but I checked all the fuses I know of ( next to battery, next to steering wheel under dash) and they all appeared fine. The way I wired the central locking system up was just constant power from battery to sensor unit, then earthed into a bolt under the dash. I know I probably sound like a total n00b but I really can't figure out why it won't go. Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

Edit: just realised there are more fuses behind the driver's side kick panel, but still didn't find anything

Edited by rianwest

Members dont see this ad

Replaced all the fuses and fusible links, relays blah blah. But it turned out to be the resistor that is on the earth side of the coil, the connection was all loose and rusty. Just an annoying coincidence that it happened to fail right when I installed the central locking, leading me to think I'd wrecked something. If anyone finds they have a problem like this definitely check that resistor, it's not the first time it's happened to me

The central locking works great, cost me $100 from autobahn and it's basically already wired up when you get it, you just plug it into power and it works. I left out all the fancy stuff like making the indicators flash and the horn beep and all that. It comes with these little brackets that mount to the inside of your door, then you mount the actuators to the bracket and secure the actuator rod to the locking mechanism rod with some grub screw thingies that come with it all and it's done. I'm not sure it needs a write up, they make it so easy.

Here's the kit I used:

IMGP3274.jpg

Here's how I did the front, pop riveted one end of bracket and just screwed the other into existing hole:

IMGP3278.jpg

And here's how I did the rear, just used some weird washer things I had laying around to secure it:

(you can't really see it but it's to the left of the door handle, you can see where the weird-shaped washers are)

IMGP3279.jpg

Make sure the window has room to wind down before you mount it, and make sure that the latch thing that stops the door opening too far has room to move (in the rear door).

It's a pretty poor write-up but maybe it will help someone.

Edited by rianwest

Yea its a very simple but rewarding thing to do, only difficult part is securing the actuators and running the wires into the front doors, otherwise its pretty straight forward.

Here is where i secured them.......

Front

post-11496-054109200 1289113405_thumb.jpg

Back

post-11496-084450000 1289113450_thumb.jpg

Edited by nz_83_dx