mrduke

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found the first major problem of the conversion. The exhaust manifold on it is a stocker(out of jap sprinter i assume),tryin to get exhaust made up to fit without goin to extractors.

Lookin at gettin fwd engine pipe and cuttin and shuttin it to suit. Other than this the conversion goin pretty easily. Has anyone else had this problem?

budget didn't stretch to extractors at the moment. just got new engine pipe made up. been driving it around for last coupla days and the only problem i've got is a lot of pressure in cooling system.

looks like i may have to pull the head for a new gasket. doesn't seem to be pumping coolant out or overheating though.

gonna pull the head off tomorrow and get it checked out. don't think there will be any probs with it,think the gaskets just gone hard.

started pullin the original 4k down for scrap and found it was gearbox/converter seized and not motor. oh well,gave me a good excuse to get off my ass and get new motor in.

put the stockers back on for a bit of fun,FUN it was. gettin it sorted slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the head back on on friday,blown on no.4. After putting it all back together,no start... Pissed me off,all the compression had gone bye byes?????? Found out the exhaust cam has to be in a different keyhole to the intake. Tricky little bastards,wonder why the hell they did that??? :bash:

got it running better,idle seems better but now it's blowin smoke like a bastard. think the valve stem seals might have gone >| .my bosses 351 in his falcon started churnin out smoke. pulled it apart and found the valve stem seals in the sump. think the cam we put in made the valves move just enough for the gunk on them to break the seals.

hopefully it's just the seals,may need a ring and hone job...

Found an old efi pump from a later model fwd corolla. pulled out pickup and just cut it off and put the pump on the end. just used the standard fuel lines and seems to be workin ok. hopefully get the smoke sorted out and it'll all be good.

• 1 month later...

Not happy jan!!! ended up pullin motor down to diagnose smoke problem(finally). oil control rings were all gummed up in grooves and barely protruding. thought ok,just hone her out and new rings n bearings and problem solved. bores were badly corroded but were comin up ok except when doing no4 found the mother of all ridges round part of the bore. not going to put it back together to just break a ring. damn!!! pickin up ae82 front cut tomorrow to start it all over again. :( just need to find a money tree somewhere...

What a pain in the butt! I hope you have a better run with the new engine.

Cool car by the way. I really want to do the 4AGE conversion, and it was looking like such a viable idea until I saw this thread haha